The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stand-Up 8 String Emmons!?!?
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 8:52 pm    

No affiliation here. I just saw this oddity on another message board, and figured someone here might know about it, be interested, or know if it's phony. I never heard of this......

http://www.tdpri.com/classifieds/emmons-8-string-e9-stand-up-pedal-steel-guitar.2876/

Whaddya think?

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 3:26 am    

Interesting. An 8-string on a student model body with A+B pedals. Later, LeGrande pedals. Never seen one quite like it.

Changed pickup. Not quite sure if the stand-up feature is original. Those pedal rods are sure long.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 7:20 am    

That's like no Emmons that I have ever set my eyes on. Looks very home made to me. The Emmons student guitars that I've seen had a bona fide push pull changer. This one hasn't. The holes on the end plate look as though they have been drilled by someone who has has drunk 2 bottles of Scotland's finest!

Although it has some genuine Emmons parts on it, the guitar has all of the hallmarks of a home made job.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 18 Aug 2017 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 6:53 pm    

Looks as if someone butchered down a GS-10.

The changer certainly LOOKS like a GS-10 with the push sections removed and replaced with spacers.

The endplates are homemade to change the leg angle, otherwise, this thing would have the footprint of an ElDorado... And since the lowers have been removed, he only drilled the holes for the raises.

The wiring, pickguard, fretboard, and nameplate all appear to be GS-10, also.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:58 am    

It's like the Emmons equivalent of the Sho-Bud that Don Warden played with Porter and Dolly.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.