The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on this Sho-bud D10?
Danny Goddard

Tallahassee, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 6:23 pm    

My friend passed away in January and I recently purchased his steel guitar from his girlfriend. Him and I had talked about sitting down together and playing our two steels but we never got around to it. I've only owned one steel guitar in my life, my MSA S12 which I recently sold locally to buy his. I bought the steel because I wanted to have one of his instruments to keep and play. It is extremely heavy and the double neck wasnt in my plan but I really wanted to keep it close.

I passed this guitar sitting in his living room numbers of times but never really talk to him about what it was, where he got it or what was special about it to him. Maybe you guys can help me out?

I know the make and I believe the model is at the professional but that's about all I know. There is no serial number as far as I can tell just the number 1996 stamped on the frame and the wood as well as "1-A-3"

The case has John E Sapp stenciled on it and his name is listed on the reciept. I check the form but I couldn't find him as a member.

I bought the guitar for sentimental reasons and I didn't really look it over when I bought it, I just agreed to purchase it. As I begin to look it over and prepare to use it as my only guitar I realized there are a lot of mechanical issues that I'm going to have to deal with. I have already fixed a number of the basic things like problems with the wiring, loose parts etc. but I really need to know what it is so I can start looking for parts starting with the changer fingers because they have really deep grooves that I don't think I could flatten out without lowering the action on that string considerably below the other strings.

A lot of the parts in the undercarriage look handmade, I don't know if that's the way were making them during that time (what year is it?) Or if it's something that was customized.

Anyways, I really appreciate any help I can get and I am looking forward to learning more about the steel, I wish I would've learned it from him. Danny

Last edited by Danny Goddard on 18 Aug 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 6:38 pm    

It's the "Professional" model. The entire under carriage has been replaced with Duane Marrs parts, which are of the highest quality. I'm sure that Jeff Surrat of Show Pro guitars could answer any questions about it. He worked with Duane Marrs and and may have actually done the work on this guitar. http://www.showprosteelguitars.com/

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 7:48 pm    

It was built March 1972.
And like Bill said; there are NO original parts underneath mechanically at all.
The fingers have been replaced with nylon tuning system all pull fingers; yes probably made by Duane Marrs and/or Jeff Surrat. And if you want to replace the fingers; you will need help from Jeff...as the whole end-plate was redone to accommodate a triple raise/ double lower changer system.
Good luck.
Ricky

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 8:06 pm    

That's a very good guitar you have there, Danny. Since you aren't familiar with the workings of such a machine, I'd suggest you seek out a good steel mechanic and have him get it in good working order for you. He can also give you some tips on maintenance. That guitar is definitely worth the investment...even if you intend to sell it.

Oops, I see brother Ricky D. posted while I was cogitating my post. Ha, ha! He's the master when it comes to anything Sho-Bud. His advice is golden!!

Danny Goddard

Tallahassee, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 2:35 pm    

Thanks for the info, gives me a good start. Any idea who John is? Very Happy