The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GeorgeBoards New Polymer Goodies to talk about - DIY EyeDeer
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 9:18 am    

I can't believe no one has any questions or comments.
This seems like a really cool way to make a DIY lap steel. I did a similar thing to my new one I'm working on only because the piece of wood I bought was 24" and I needed 30"/31". The wood was so highly figured I couldn't pass it up. My homemade head worked out well (at least in theory) We will see once I string it up. If not I will machine a billet aluminum one.

George's head looks like all the bases are covered and I'm sure would be a nice addition to any (modern) lap steel. George, does that material thread well and do the threads hold up well?

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 12:30 pm     Threads - YES

Thank you Bill

So far we have only made 1/2 X 13 threads in the sockets , with this advanced carbon polymer we found
they come out sharp, even, and hold the legs solidly.
No need to clear them with a Tap.
No Burrs to cut the fingertips either.

Our 3D CAD designer has set up for 4-40 --- 6-32 in sample blocks for me to scope those tighter threads out.

The Head above is programmed to be made at a super facility job shop with a powder that is Laser printed.
We had some parts made with them and are awaiting their arrival.

The Material is called Alumide Composite Polymer.
It is some sort of Aluminum composite, supposed to be super durable and able to be buffed - polished too.

I am printing some Carbon Polymer Nuts for a Custom D8 Left Play Project for a forum member.
I am sure he will be posting it's progress as it goes along.

Question -- If you or a professional shop were to charge someone to make the above head , what would run , or could it even be done from a 2"X6"X12" billet of 6061 .
YouTube Channel

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 12:50 pm    

Could it be done.........of course it could. As my old boss would say, with enough of our time and the customer's money we can make anything! I assume you need a 2" chunk to cover the heel and the gusset? I am sure there would be alternatives to making it one piece and cut the costs somewhat. That chunk of aluminum you are talking about would not be cheap to start with, then add the labor.........pretty salty I'm afraid.