The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Look at us - Joshua Trommelen & Mathew Jut
Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 12:04 pm    

Hello everybody,

Here is my student Joshua Trommelen and me playing look at us. We were just jamming around so there are some mistakes but hopefully you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxu1iEX8Sis

With kind regards,

Mathew Jut

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 2:37 pm     >

Great playing of anothers song and break. I'm not trying to discourage you one bit. I'm just remembering my younger years in the mid '60s being obsessed with the pedal steel and joining a group of other enthusiasts at a monthly get together. We each took our turn on the stage. Believe it or not, all tried to play Tom Brumley's "Together Again". It took us a short while to realize there was only one "Brumley". Needless to say, this group at the Weymouth Air Base lasted only a couple months. I'm trying to say, be yourself and play your own "stuff", you'll enjoy it much more and so will the folks listening. Remember, someone played what you are copying long before you heard it. BE YOURSELF! Jay Y.

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 10:52 am     Re: >

Jay Yuskaitis wrote:
Great playing of anothers song and break. I'm not trying to discourage you one bit. I'm just remembering my younger years in the mid '60s being obsessed with the pedal steel and joining a group of other enthusiasts at a monthly get together. We each took our turn on the stage. Believe it or not, all tried to play Tom Brumley's "Together Again". It took us a short while to realize there was only one "Brumley". Needless to say, this group at the Weymouth Air Base lasted only a couple months. I'm trying to say, be yourself and play your own "stuff", you'll enjoy it much more and so will the folks listening. Remember, someone played what you are copying long before you heard it. BE YOURSELF! Jay Y.

Mathew is planning on playing his own stuff, trust me Evil Twisted watch this space.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 12:25 pm    

Don't have much time left. I don't contemplate seeing anything original in my tenure here. Jay Y.

Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 12:38 am    

Jay Yuskaitis wrote:
Don't have much time left. I don't contemplate seeing anything original in my tenure here. Jay Y.

To be honest, I've never seen anyone did the lick at 2:30 and 1:25. I know some players played that lick before at 2:30 on other songs but not on look at us. Also I'm not inventing the wheel here, because all the great players already probably played it but i'm totally not copying my favorite players, i'm always trying to make my own version of it on every song. So yes i'm playing my own stuff, but also i'm still a beginner and need to start somewhere and thank u for the advice!

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 11:59 am    

Good for you. Most important, be yourself. Jay