The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker D8 console with new fretboards by George !
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 3:29 pm    

You might try placing the "new" fretboards on top of the other ones and see how they look on the guitar. Also, play the guitar with the "new" fretboards loosely in place and see how you like them. If you like the silver fretboards more, just leave things as they are.

I think part of the visual appeal is the black/silver/black/chrome look. It's a two-color guitar, black and silver (chrome). Everything matches. My only issue with the silver fretboards is... the fret markers may not stand out enough? As long as you can see see them clearly, no problem. Keep in mind that everyone here loves the look of the guitar, so why change anything?

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:40 pm    

Doug, thanks for the good advice...thats kind of why I ordered the "new" fretbaords as I am having a little trouble seeing the ones on there now...but I dont seem to be having intonation problems, so maybe I am getting used to them and see them better than I think. I can always probably sell the ones I am getting if I decide to. A gentleman here on the forum posted this as he was having trouble seeing the fret markers:

Thought I might try to add these before I temporarily placed the fretboards on the steel. (easier w/o the strings to get in the way ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 19 May 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:50 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
You might try placing the "new" fretboards on top of the other ones and see how they look on the guitar. Also, play the guitar with the "new" fretboards loosely in place and see how you like them. If you like the silver fretboards more, just leave things as they are.

I think part of the visual appeal is the black/silver/black/chrome look. It's a two-color guitar, black and silver (chrome). Everything matches. My only issue with the silver fretboards is... the fret markers may not stand out enough? As long as you can see see them clearly, no problem. Keep in mind that everyone here loves the look of the guitar, so why change anything?

AMEN BROTHER! I would not change a thing!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:59 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:

AMEN BROTHER! I would not change a thing!

Bill, I believe you are right...I am just being dumb !! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 6:09 am    

Larry,
Double backed tape works great. I've done that with several guitars. Very Happy

Robert Mac Neilage

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 12:52 pm    

Larry Lenhart wrote
"A gentleman here on the forum posted this as he was having trouble seeing the fret markers: "
Thanks Larry,
compliments are always welcome, but because I'm short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other I wear glasses, but found that help in seeing the fret markers clearer was neccissary because of the similar silver fret markings.
By just using ordinary plastic insulation tape of different colours to enhance the frets, this modification was easily carried out and can be removed without damaging the guitar in any way Rolling Eyes
Total cost about £2.00 or probably about $2 to you guy's and you get enough tape to do 100's of guitars Laughing
I found this made a big diference when playing the instrument and it helps me a lot.
Regards the sound from these Rickenbacker guitars, words cannot describe it, mine is in a class of it's own, as I am sure your's will be!
A6th neck is deep and mellow and E13th just sings in a class of it's own with a high G# and a low B equally responsive due to the pick ups. My DW 16 is definately the best I've played and I might even consider letting some of my "hoard" find new a new home, but time will tell Razz
Regards to all
Robert

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 4:09 pm    

Here's the fretboards I just got today, for now, just laying on the steel, but later I will apply them with double sided tape. These are from a Rickenbacker console of a similar era, and I think they look good and will be easier to see as well. Thanks for all of the responses...for now this is the only mod I am going to do to it...

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 5:18 pm    

Looks good from here.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 2:04 am    

Very nice looking fretboards indeed.........

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 9:21 am    

very cool console

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 7:16 pm    

These are the ones I wound up with-- made by George of GeorgeBoards right here in Okieland Smile outstanding job !!