The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neck screw tension
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:08 am    

I wonder if anybody has ever conducted a test as to how many beers it takes to make a guitar sound better? Whoa!
BTW: I've known some guitar players with a few loose screws. Very Happy

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:52 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I wonder if anybody has ever conducted a test as to how many beers it takes to make a guitar sound better? Whoa!
Depends entirely on type of beer and where it goes...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:56 am    

Oh, SO many variables! Very Happy

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 10:22 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
Hmmm, wonder if someone dares to replace the neck screws with hex cap and then use a torque wrench to measure the tension. Once you get a favorable result at so many lbs. you could always repeat the process.

They make Phillips torque screwdrivers, or you could just attach a Phillips tip to an ordinary torque wrench.

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 11:31 am    

Last week at a gig, I removed the legs and pedal assembly and put it all back in the case and to my ears it sounded way better.

Tony Smart

Harlow. Essex. England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 2:26 pm    

From an earlier post, this is a response from Jack Strayhorn.

"We (at Emmons) hand tightened as much as possible. When I do any repair work I check all screws and snug them as much as possible. Never experimented with any other method."

Jerry Kippola

UP Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 5:18 pm    

I don't know who came up with that idea, but my '68 Push-Pull D10 Emmons came to life after I tightened the neck, changer, keyhead screws as tight as i could get them.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 7:29 pm    

Buddy Emmons, who was probably following the advice of Ron Lashley, Sr.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:07 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
It's fairly well known that the screws holding the aluminum neck to an Emmons should not be overtightened, as doing so kills sustain, tone, etc.
Tony Smart wrote:
From an earlier post, this is a response from Jack Strayhorn.

"We (at Emmons) hand tightened as much as possible. When I do any repair work I check all screws and snug them as much as possible. Never experimented with any other method."
Jerry Kippola wrote:
I don't know who came up with that idea, but my '68 Push-Pull D10 Emmons came to life after I tightened the neck, changer, keyhead screws as tight as i could get them.
Paul Sutherland wrote:
Buddy Emmons, who was probably following the advice of Ron Lashley, Sr.

(The last three quotes are consecutive, and so appear to be in response to each other.)

Haven't we read in various posts over the years, here and elsewhere, that Buddy E. said not tightening the neck screws made for better sound? As you yourself, Paul S., said in the OP? Confused

My personal opinion is that the truth of this question is indeterminable, as the potential influence of placebo effect, or confirmation bias, is inescapable.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:29 pm    

Have you tried it? If you haven't, why are you giving any opinion at all?

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:32 pm    

My last line explains why. I recognize that the potential of placebo effect, or confirmation bias, is universal--it applies as much to me as anyone else. It's simply a fact of human subjective perception.

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 14 Aug 2017 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 8:45 pm    

I'm done. Do whatever you want.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 15 Aug 2017 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 4:36 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
I recognize that the potential of placebo effect, or confirmation bias, is universal--it applies as much to me as anyone else. It's simply a fact of human subjective perception.
Right ... it is very easy to fool ones own mind ... people do it all the time. Which isn't necessarily such a bad thing, as it may have real and positive effects on the outcome.

To "check the balance" of such "mind altering" effects, and control the real effects of loose screws...
Georg Sørtun wrote:
Better make high-quality recordings during the operation, as relying on ones memory of how an instrument sounded at various stages is pretty unreliable unless making such adjustments is part of ones profession.

As we day in and day out can read on this forum about how people make "minor changes to this and that that make all the difference", it is all too easy to write them off even if we neither can, nor want to, replicate them. I personally think being happy for their successes is a more appropriate reaction, also if we don't believe...

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 10:33 am    

My opinion for what it's worth which isn't much is that common sense should tell you that really tightened down things won't sound the same as loose things, not rocket science, just common sense. Where the problem is is it going to sound better or worse? When I first read this several years ago about neck screw tension, I did some experimenting with a 70 model Emmons fat Back D-10. I'm sorry to inform you that to my ears, it sounded better with the necks really tight . It seemed like it made the strings feel much tighter when necks were tighter which made it play and sound better. What's better to me may not be better to you so there we go again. All this could be the placebo effect, it could have sounded the same and I just thought it sounded better. Anyway, I will agree that it could possibly make a difference but don't know which way. Wood neck Emmons are screwed down from top and sound great and they are really tight or the one I took apart was anyway.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.