The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville Studio players working clubs
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 7:39 am    

It might just be the number of You Tube vids I see but it seems to me that Tommy White, Brent Mason and Paul Franklin etc, are more visible in the Nashville club scene. I hear that studio work is down. This is great for us that want to see them in a "real" setting, going back to where we all came from, "clubs".

Doug J use to play jams etc just to keep his chops up when off the road, it was not about the money.

Even the great Vince Gill with the Time Jumpers on a Monday night at a club seems strange, but I like it.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 8:06 am    

I seriously doubt it's about money. Not long ago I was talking to TW when he was at the Stage with Vince M, he just said it was huge fun ! A 4 hour gig unleashed ! No producers, no engineers, no artists requiring signature licks at the Opry, just a hot band with great players.

MJ plays regularly with his band 45 RPM, are we thinking he is doing it so he can purchase Milk, Eggs and Bread ?

Is it possible these guys are working during the day and playing at night, just like most of us ? They just have different day jobs.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 14 Aug 2017 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 8:58 am    

I think you are right, Tony. Stretching out.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 6:32 am     Re: Nashville Studio players working clubs

Larry Behm wrote:
I hear that studio work is down.

While on a session in Nashville a couple months ago, the drummer (who had just done 3 1/2 weeks straight of triples) was talking a little about how session work has been going down there. He said that with the shift from album sales to streaming services, record companies aren't doing as bad as we think, or at least compared to an artist's compensation. Therefore albums are still being made, and session players are still needed. He also mentioned that Russ Pahl and a younger guy named Jeremy have been getting the bulk of the steel work for the bigger records.

I usually don't have a lot of say as to where my gigs are (I just take as many as I can), but I can't imagine ever getting tired of playing a good bar gig.