The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone doing "Guitars for Vets" ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 11:36 am    

In the spring I went thru the background check, etc. to be a volunteer for "Guitars for Vets" at the VA Hospital in Phoenix, Az. It has been 5 months and my fingerprint clearance still hasnt come back...they told me that it is not unusual that it often takes at least 6 months. I think this is a great program and I was hoping to get started when I return to Az in the early fall. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience ?
Thanks in advance.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Earl Blake

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 4:09 pm     Guitars 4 Vets

I taught lessons to half a dozen vets up in St Paul for a while. I drove clear to the other side of town and loved it. You are probably not prepared for what you are about to do. The Guitar part is great.....But the therapy side can be heavy. (I'm no therapist) I had one fella come in and said "Do you think I can play?" Showed me his hand with some bum fingers. I said well if you can't I'll teach you lap steel. Turned out he could and was grateful. Be prepared for anything.

I was going good for over a year, then one day at the end of my last lesson they asked me to come into the office and said I had half an hour to do a 4 hour Computer Based Instruction. Last minute and it had to be done now. Since I couldn't complete the CBI, I was told my services were no longer needed. I think I got pushed out by someone....But I don't know.

I do know it's very worthwhile....Even with the Government Red Tape.

Earl

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 6:35 pm    

Earl, thanks for your response...I am looking forward to the experience and just found out my paper work is done and I am good to go when I get back to Phoenix. I am sure it will be a challenge, but thats okay ! Thanks for your service...I am sorry you didnt get treated better than that ! Sad
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Earl Blake

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 5:45 am     G4v

I always told my students that I'm not a vet....But i work for the gov't so I understand. Have some fun with it! And good luck.

Earl