The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Snow recording of Pearly Shells-Lloyd Green on steel ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 5:52 pm    

Lately I have been enjoying the Snow in Hawaii recording by Hank Snow...I bought the recording because of Jerry Byrd playing steel, and indeed all tracks are distinctive wonderful JB sounding to my ears...but this particular track definately sounds like pedal steel and in particular Lloyd Green...according to the credits on youtube, it is Jerry Byrd and Joe Talbot...if you get the chance listen to this and give me your opinion. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9zcphIHEe8
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 7:40 pm    

Sure isn't JB on that track ! Really miss Hank Snow's tunes ! He's been gone since '97 I believe..

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 2:56 pm    

Larry, I have the lp Snow In Hawaii rca LSP 3737. Date is 1967. But it doesnt have Pearly Shells on it? Wondering if there is more than one Snow lp that is Hawaiian or he may have recorded other tracks that was assembled on another release. Which lp or cd do you have of this album?
Great stuff on mine, I think its Jerry Byrd and possible sounds of Kayton too..Not sure. But steel does killer solo on My Little Grass Shack-I think that was Byrd.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 8:31 pm    

Duane Becker wrote:
But steel does killer solo on My Little Grass Shack-I think that was Byrd.

Jerry Byrd for sure

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 6:01 am    

Sometimes it pays to "read the notes"..haha I found my cd of "Snow in Hawaii" and it is a 28 song cd put out by Bear Family Records in 2008. The liner notes for "Pearly Shells" states Lloyd Green on steel Sad I am a little embarassed for not having read that info before. But I was pleased to recognize the style of Lloyd Green. Most of the cuts feature Jerry Byrd on steel and a few have Kayton Roberts. Anyway, I like this cd a lot and highly recommend it for fans of Hank Snow (one of my favorites) and Jerry Byrd (my all time favorite steel guitarist). Lots of good musicians and tunes on this cd.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 7:32 am     Snow In Hawaii

Larry, I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice Lloyd playing on Pearly Shells.
I would like to hear Hank playing Hawaiian Steel on the first radio shows he did on his first paying jobs as a musician. I was told it sounded like a mixture of Lew Childre and Maybell Carter on their acoustic guitars.
Maybe George Rout has more information on Hanks early radio days around Halifax, Nova Scotia.

www.billchaviers.com

Steel Guitar Tabs

Last edited by billchav on 13 Aug 2017 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 1:31 pm    

Jimmy Crawford on this recording, I believe. Jay Y.

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 6:40 pm    

Hi Larry, I had to consult my good friend and Nova Scotia musicologist, Fred Isenor who is an authority on the sunject. Fred says:

"It was Eugene “Johnny” Beaudoin. He worked at Peate Music in Montreal. He started recording with Hank in November 1937 and finished on the last Canadian session in December 1947".

Thanks Fred.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

George Rout

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 10:42 am    

Hello Len and other folks on this thread.

I had additional information from Fred Isenor who states:

"On checking the Snow discography I notice Kayton Roberts played on two sessions in January 1974 but RCA didn’t release any though they are on the Bear Family sets. When he recorded Pearly Shells on May 6, Lloyd Green was back on steel probably because producer Chet Atkins thought Kayton was too country. It was Atkins who told Don Gibson to get rid of the fiddle and steel if he wanted hits and he turned out to be correct. My biased opinion is that many of the DJ’s on country shows hated country music like Jerry Parsons in Halifax and played the records that were least country".

Hope this is of interest.
George (Thaks again, Fred)

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

George Rout

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 2:30 pm    

Not too long ago, I picked up this Hank Snow (1936 - 1943)album at a local Walmart for about $7. While it has nothing to do with Pearly Shells, it does give some overview of the tunes on which Johnny Beaudoin played.

Geo

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 2:54 pm     >

Hank Snow was my all time favorite. His first Steel players from the '30s as few as they were, through the late '50's were my favorites. I know Jerry Byrd and Kayton Roberts played with Hank after this time. As you can tell, I'm a straight steel fan. I'm sorry I don't play any longer. Jay Y.