The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tubefex
ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 8:41 am    

I haven't used my tubefex in several years so I got it out and put in a battery-less mod from Ken. Reloaded my presets and when I turn it on it takes 5 minutes or longer to get any sound then it works fine. Would weak tubes cause this? Also I get a warning that system battery is low even though there is no longer a battery in it.
Thanks for any help you might have.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 8:56 am    

Assuming there was no battery leakage damage, I'd say it sounds like a bad filter cap in the power supply.

Maybe Ken Fox will chime in on this one. He has more experience with these units.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 12:28 pm    

I've seen battery leakage cause that in the Tubefex units.

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 1:58 pm    

The battery had very little white powder on the neg end and the board was clean. Thanks for the replys. Guess I'll just use my profex till I can figure this out

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 2:27 am    

Although considering the age of a TubeFex I wouldn't suspect a filter cap to cause a 5 minute (plus) delay in operating.

I would replace the 12AX7 tube, as a start.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 2:27 am    

Deleted. Duplicate post

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 30 Jul 2017 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 4:57 am    

Thanks Jack. I'm going to order new tubes and try that. I don't know if it has ever had the tubes changed and peavey says they last 2 to 3 years depending on use. I've had it longer than that

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 6:02 am    

If there is not a tube in the preset chain then the tubes would not have any effect on the audio for that preset. If the battery has leaked clear acid then the damage can be very difficult to see.

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 10:39 am    

I have went over and over the board and can not find any damage. I have found out that if I go from the direct outputs it does work but not as loud. I have cleaned the output jacks several times with contact cleaner also. Any ideas Ken?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 3:39 pm    

Not really. Out of town but will see if I still have the schematic when I get bs k to the shop.

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 4:13 am    

Thanks Ken

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 5:26 am    

The direct outputs are -10DBV but nothing in the Peavey manual mentions anything else about these. I would assume they are outputs for direct to a (mixing) board.

One thought, after doing the mod, did you do a Factory Reset before reinstalling your programs? If not give that a shot.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 1:32 pm    

Yes, Jack is correct. Part of instructions sent with the chip tell you how to do that. I now preprogramnthe chips on an old Bassfex to verify they are working perfectly. Those settings would not go well on a Tubefex! A factory reset reprogram a the chip to the Tubefex factory presets. After that you can program it to steel settings from another Tubefex via midi cable or from programs saved on RAM card

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2017 6:54 am    

Well I installed new tubes and done another factory reset. Put my ram card in and now it won't let me load my settings. Comes up not a tubefex card. Still nothing from the outputs only the direct outputs.

Might have to just put it back in the corner and forget about it or sell it for parts.