The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clint Black psg player
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 2:48 pm    

Jeff Peterson is a great player. I haven't run into him for years, and hope he is doing well.

I haven't seen Clint carry steel in many years...

David Spires

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2017 3:56 am    

I took some lessons from Jeff back in the late 70's. He was living in the Houston area then. He is responsible for my right hand technique. When I was taking lessons from him, I had ordered a new Emmons from Herb Remington. When I got it, I think Jeff was as excited as I was.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 1:18 pm    

Boy, this has been a long time comin'....better late than never!
Yes, 1988(early), to 2008(late) I was with Clint.
I was not in a band with Hayden until I met Clint. I did a bunch of 'pick-up' dates in Houston with Jake Willemain and Dick Gay.
I was pretty much the only player at that time who was working steady in the local studios..Sugar Hill, Soundmasters, and had worked extensively with Bill Holford and Andy Bradley, Hughy Meaux and many great players...Randy Cornor, Paul English, Rick Richards, Eric(earache)Avinger..and many, many more. (BTW, I gave that nickname to Eric, along with the collective chant--Get More Gobos, quick!!!)
Just one of the great artists we played with was Mark Chesnutt. A.V. Middlstadt gave the room a 5 minute break while I came up with an intro for 'Too Cold at Home'.
Later Paul Franklin massaged my intro into what we all hear now as just a wonderful intro, but kept much of my original idea...again, Thanks Paul!
Now, the first video for 'Better Man' was played on an original MCI because my Emmons was crushed under the gear truck. I contacted Herb Remington to see what I could replace it with while I waited for a new guitar from Ron Lashley.
Bless Herb's heart, he sold me that 9 + 6 MCI for $400 and saved me. It took awhile to get the new Emmons, so I ended up playing it for, don't know exactly, at least a few weeks.
Years later, I was helping Bobby Seymour out at Steel Guitar Nashville during a break from the tour, and ended up selling that MCI to somebody who popped into the shop. I dunno if he's on the forum or not but he's got that little life-saver!
It was not a bad sounding guitar, but I sure missed my Emmons...which landed in the parts bin..such a shame as it was a fantastic sounding push-pull.

Last edited by Jeff Peterson on 18 Sep 2023 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 1:36 pm    

Clint Black now carries steel again-the steel player is Wesley Fowler, playing an Emmons ReSound '65
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 2:22 pm    

Great story Jeff.

Ronald Heinzel

Hollister, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 6:13 pm    

Clint Black’s steel player is Wes Fowler. I sold him an amp a couple years ago and we kept in touch. He’s Clint’s cousin

Vic Lawson

White House, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2023 1:30 pm     Clint Black psg player

We played a show with them a month or so back and I got to hear and visit with Wesley for a while. Great player and very nice man! Glad to see Clint using Steel again!