The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Truthfinder
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 12:25 pm    

There is a website Truthfinder.com. Has anyone used this? It is for looking up people and it supposedly gives alot of info on that person. I tried to find an old friend I haven't seen in many years and when it was to set up a secure page for me to view the info, I waited over 20 min for it to finish and I got tired of waiting and shut it off. I hope this was not a scam. Any information would be appreciated.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 1:28 pm    

I know nothing about Truth Finder, but I certainly would be suspicious of any site that went nowhere for 20 minutes.

Are you at least supposedly protected by decent spyware/anti-virus/anti-exploit software?

A 20 minute delay might be due to an application (such as NoScript) you have installed that is designed to protect you from dangerous scripts on shaky web sites. That's a good thing.

I am familiar with various other web sites that are useful in locating people.

Normally, these sites will show you SOME information for free and then offer to provide you with a FULL REPORT if you sign up and pay.

Typically, it's difficult to say yes to the full report because you might not be sure you've found the right guy. If the guy's name is John Smith you are likely to have more trouble identifying him than if his name is Egbert Sousé.

Usually you are shown an address history and possible names of relatives, but that info is not highly reliable--much of it is done by inference or input from users like yourself. You might be asked questions like "Did your John Smith ever live in Black Duck, Minnesota?? The sites use that type of input to supposedly refine their results. But it's never foolproof.

Radaris.com and Intelius.com are a couple of decent sites I have used that have never caused me any trouble.

You need to get slick with using the correct Google search terms.

There are a lot of marriage, divorce, genealogy, obituary, phone number, cemetery, newspaper, and court records search sites out there---many of them useless.

You'd be surprised what you can dig up. I found out a week or so ago that a guy I knew in the 7th and 8th grade had committed suicide in 1971--he had a fairly unusual name, so it wasn't too hard to distinguish him in the search results I found. I located a 1 paragraph story in a 1971 edition of a small newspaper.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 3:16 pm    

Can't answer the question about "truthfinder", but it sounds like the rest of the scumbags out there who will return a bunch of "potential finds", and then ding you for money to find out which one is the one you're looking for.

I take a dim view of people who make their living schlepping around in other peoples' lives, generally speaking. But I've always wondered how they can access normally-privileged information, like court and police records, when I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the same thing. How do they get in there?

Last edited by Dave Potter on 10 Aug 2017 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 3:45 pm    

Dave:

Much of the info is NOT privileged or protected by law.

Many if not all courts routinely publish their dockets for all to view--there is no subterfuge involved. Direct from the court's web site, not a sleazoid third party web site.

Who knew that that old girlfriend was arrested for contempt of court or that her husband got loaded drunk and ...................

Police arrest records within certain limitations are also public record. Mug shots galore--Sinatra, Jerry Lee, Willie, J.R.Cash, etc. The Elvis one is fake as far as I know.

All without paying a dime and all in the open.

It's easier now due to Internet access and search engines. You could get the info 30 years ago, but that would have required a trip to the county courthouse or police station.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 4:05 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
there is no subterfuge involved. Direct from the court's web site, not a sleazoid third party web site.
OK, makes sense now. But I STILL think poorly of people who make their living digging dirt on other people, albeit it may be an honest living.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 5:22 pm    

Thanks for the replies. After typing the name of the person I was trying to locate it starts asking questions like, has he been arrested, any DUI arrest, has he live in... and a name of a relative etc. After going thru several areas like that it then says it will set up a secure site to view the info and I have to give my email address and by doing so I agree that I am 18 yrs old and I will allow emails and ads. I wondered if my virus protection may have been doing its job. As I said after about 20 min I shut it down. Then I ran a virus scan and it seems all is normal.