The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many use a .012 G# on E9th???
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 8:53 am    

I have used a .011 for years, seems a little thin these days, went to a .012, backed off of the finger angle on my PP, time will tell. You???

Phone: 971-219-8533

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 9:52 am    

I split the difference at .0115. Sounds slightly fatter than .011 but I've seen no increased breakage. Recommended.

A .012 might be even better, especially on a short scale (24") steel, but I'm skittish about pushing that boundary with the extra tension. If I changed strings more often than every 17 years it would probably be just fine. Let us know how it works out for you, Larry.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 10:51 am    

I've used .012s for 30 years. Better tone.....less breakage. I stay away from Ernie Ball's though. They skimp on the windings and break way more often

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 12:08 pm    

I use the .012 and can't remember when I broke the last string. Very Happy

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 12:27 pm    

For the longest time Danny Hullihen at Jagwire actually made a PP set with a 12 for the third. I used them until I sold my PP and never had an issue.

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 12:59 pm     How many use a .012 G# on E9th???

Since the early 70's. also use a .018 on the fifth.
Regards, Jay Thompson

Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 3:59 pm    

I use .012s on my 3rd string on my Sho Bud and ZB but Lynn didn't want me to use them on my Emmons! We split the diff and went with 0.115s on it. I like it - feels good sounds good.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 9:09 pm    

I use an .012 3rd string also, and have for more than 30 years with no breakage problems. They sound better too.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 3:04 am    

Larry, I'm wondering what you mean when you say you "backed off the finger angle." Could you clarify?
Thanks.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 3:12 am    

I use a Ernie Ball special reinforced 0.11 they seem to be hard to find,They have extra windings at the changer end!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 4:22 am    

too much tension.. I can feel it in the pedal action, on any guitar I have tried it on.. For me personally the .0115 is a very good compromise... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 12:31 pm    

I played for Mathew Tan & The Singapore Cowboys, in Singapore, and I must have gotten a bad batch of .011s or 12s and I broke 4 or 5 strings in a row. VERY EMBARRASSING.
Since that time, I've gone to .0115s, unless I'm in a pinch.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 12:35 pm    

Dan I back off of the upper and lower screws on the end of the guitar so the finger has less of an arch when being pulled. I back them both out about 2/3 of their potential travel, leaving some room for adjustment if I need it. My thinking is less~~~~~back and forth when going from pedaled to no pedal can cut down on breakage.

You might be concerned that the finger does not stop at the body, well guess what other fingers (E-F) do not either and no one seems to care. How about D# to D and then C#? Also some changes on the C neck for some players like A-Bb and A-B come to mind.

I also take off as many pedal return spring as I can to make it play easier. (I take them off all guitar brands where possible) In 45 years never had a problem on PP or any other brand, I have many witnesses.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 4:05 pm    

Back in time when I was using .011 - mostly D'Addario, they broke so soon that I made a habit out of having extra turns on the tuning peg so I could pull out some and re-use 3d string a couple of times as it broke over the changer.
Began using .0115 a couple of decades ago, and haven't broken many of those. That despite the fact that I both raise and lower 3d string.

Larry Behm wrote:
My thinking is less~~~~~back and forth when going from pedaled to no pedal can cut down on breakage.
Good thinking Very Happy

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 6:00 am    

Of all the strings that I sell, I rarely have anyone ask for a 12 for the 3rd string.
However, I have many of my customers that use the 11-1/2.

I keep these in stock if I can ever be of service.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 4:35 pm    

I've used .012's since I started playing PSG in 1978 :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 10:39 pm    

Good thread as I was wondering about going to 12 over 11.

Didn't know there was an 11.5.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 12:34 am    

.012 on the 3rd for me personally, but I put the .011 on the new guitars being built.
I guess its just a personal preference.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 6:05 am     .012 for me.....

I've been using .012's on my 3rd. string since about 1976. That's when Jeff Newman told me he liked them better than .011's. Tommy......

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 7:12 am    

I've used .012's on a few guitars including my old Sierra Keyless with a 25" scale and never had a breakage issue. For whatever reason, my current guitar (Performance) just does not sound as good with a .012

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 6:10 pm     .012 String

I just put a new 12 gauge string on my PP and it broke after two days of playing. I have a couple extra that I will try, but I'm wondering if this is going to work out. It broke at the tuning peg.

The 11 gauge I had on it before did not have any issues. Therefore, I doubt there's a burr on the tuning shaft.

Don

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 6:33 pm    

I just got some D'Addario strings endorsed by Paul and in his preferred gauges and so far I like the 012 on the G#, the guitar doesn't seem to break them and the heavier any string can be the better the tone! I still lower my 6th string so the 020 took some getting used to, may go back to a 022 & the 038W on the bottom is big!

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2017 8:36 pm    

I use Jagwire strings and a 12 for G#
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 5:39 pm    

I've used .12's for years. In my opinion you can't beat the tonal quality with .12's.

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 5:46 pm    

Don, if it broke at the tuning peg check for burrs or other wear. Sometimes it is just the string. I've broke new ones before. The trick I found is to wind them to an E and then press and pull them a little bit. Then tighten them some more and press down again. Do the same until it is tuned up.