The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chuck Loeb (C-Jazz Guitarist)
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 3:11 pm    

We have lost Chuck Loeb to cancer at 61. He has been one of the true giants of guitar in Contemporary Jazz (Smooth Jazz) for at least the past two decades.

I first discovered his playing on an album by Andy Snitzer (Sax Player) in which Chuck was a session player. I then quickly learned of his solo career as well. More recently he had been touring with Fourplay, filling the guitar role previously held by Larry Carlton, and originally by Lee Ritenour (talk about two sets of BIG SHOES to fill!!).

For anyone who is a fan of clean-tone ultra-smooth guitar improvisation, I recommend his album "The Moon, The Stars, and The Setting Sun".

RIP Chuck... You will be sorely missed!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 6:54 pm    

How sad. Chuck was probably my favorite contemporary Jazz guitar player, I have a stack of his CD's. Probably my favorite of his is "Vincent" which his wife did the vocals on. It's just a simple, beautiful rendition. RIP Chuck, your music will live forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcUygSxb6I
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 11:16 am    

Darvin, thank you for sharing that link! He and his wife did beautiful version of Vincent!
Rest in Peace, Mr.Loeb...
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 12:48 pm    

OMG, I am shocked. Chuck was a warm gentleman and talented player. I met him during a Four Play concert, their manager is my childhood friend. We struck up a fine conversation about guitars, he showed me his Sadowsky while waiting for them to go on. His music on his own gets my attention all the time that's how fine a player he was.

Godspeed Chuck!

Condolences to his family and to the guys in Four Play.

I'm deeply saddened...

Update 8/9/2017:

Received email from FP's manager Sonny, they laid Chuck to rest in New York and then held a concert dedication for him in Philly.