The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fake Microsoft Edge Virus Warning
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 9:07 am    

This has happened a couple times. Get this pop-up warning that a Trojan virus has infected my computer. I'm sure this is a fake warning and attempt to trick me into going to their dangerous stuff.

What's the best way to rid this? A search found a site with url virus-warning.com that has some steps to clear this.

I just want to make sure I take the proper steps to rid this damn stuff. Thanks. Wiz?

I'm also wondering why Defender doesn't catch this?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 9:21 am    

Jerry;
Microsoft Edge has some built in protections, but they are still in development. Microsoft Defender doesn't hook into Edge to my knowledge, so it didn't do anything about the rigged ad/popup. Unless I am mistaken, Malwarebytes Premium can hook into Edge. You can download MBAM for a free trial of the premium features and see if it protects Edge. If it does, purchase a subscription. If not, do with it as you please after the trial expires.

I Don't use Edge, other than to verify my coding on websites, so I'm not able to offer very much help when it comes to that browser. But, I do have MBAM and Defender protecting my shop laptop and will let you know what I can find out.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 9:23 am    

I just verified that Malwarebytes version 3 Premium does protect Microsoft Edge by default, as long as you don't disable "Web Protection."
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 10:27 am    

Thanks Wiz. I had to shut down the computer to get rid of the message. Probably not the right thing to do.

I appreciate anything you find that will help. Your input here is so valuable.

I guess the temporary fix is to just not use Edge. I found some links on this back to 2015, so if they haven't fixed it in two years time, I don't guess they are going to.

It seems the companies that provide these services should do a a better job of protecting us from this stuff.

Lots of people like me can barely afford the provider services let alone extra protection on top of that.

I don't use the thing anyway much except for the forum. It's only a couple yrs. old, but I may decide to pitch it and go back to tin cans and string.

The entire communications industry does a sorry job at protecting it's users from cyber and other electronic based crime.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 10:42 am    

You can browse with Chrome or Firefox. Both are able to import data from Edge.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 11:04 am    

Yes, I am currently using Firefox essentially trouble free at the moment. Thanks again.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 2:26 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Yes, I am currently using Firefox essentially trouble free at the moment. Thanks again.

If all you have protecting your computer from malware is Microsoft Defender, you're bumming. Malwarebytes 3 will fill in all the gaps in coverage, especially web and email threats.

If you don't already have the new version, or use the premium features, you can read about Malwarebytes 3 on my website. I use it in conjunction with Trend Micro Antivirus+ at home, and with Microsoft Defender on my laptop at work.

As regards Microsoft offering free virus protection with Windows, they've been sued over antitrust violations since the late 1990s, all of which involved MS excluding a competitor's program from installing in Windows in favor of an MS program. This includes Windows Security Essentials and Internet Explorer, and most recently and currently in the courts, Microsoft Defender vs Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 5:07 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
If all you have protecting your computer from malware is Microsoft Defender, you're bumming. Malwarebytes 3 will fill in all the gaps in coverage, especially web and email threats.
Well, that's me, so I guess I'm "bumming". What am I doing, exposing myself to those "gaps" to which you refer?

Thanks, Wiz

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 7:22 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:
Wiz Feinberg wrote:
Well, that's me, so I guess I'm "bumming". What am I doing, exposing myself to those "gaps" to which you refer?

Thanks, Wiz

There are five main paths to computer infection, along with a few roads less traveled. They are as follows.

1. Browser based attacks using JavaScript functions and "eval" tests to exploit zero day vulnerabilities in that browser, or its plug-ins, like Adobe Flash, Oracle Java, Microsoft Silverlight, Adobe Reader, etc). These attacks are often launched through invisible iframes embedded on compromised websites and in poisoned ads that slip past QC checks on a lax ad network.
  2. Browser pop-ups using clever wording to panic or trick people into downloading and installing what they think is a solution to a problem the pop-up claims to have found.
  3. Browser extensions that have been exploited, or were created with the purpose of passing muster then being swapped out for poisoned versions.
  4. Malware embedded in software that you choose to download from a site that is either compromised, or fails to scan for malware in downloads they sponsor.
  5. Email threats containing malware downloaders in attachments, or links to exploit kits, or poisoned documents (Word docs asking you to enable "editing" to launch macro commands).
  6. SMB and TCP/IP attacks against machines not fully protected by their modem or router.
  7. Thumb drives that have been infected at the factory, for nefarious purposes. Somebody was paid off to allow or carry out the mass infection.

Malwarebytes 3 is able to detect and block most, if not all of the browser based attacks and malicious downloads. Microsoft Defender is getting better at stopping the opening and installation of dangerous files. It can also protect commonly targeted locations from unauthorized modifications, much like Trend Micro is already doing with the Protected Folders feature. This was designed to stop ransomware encryptors.

Defender alone is not yet up to snuf to detect and block a lot of webpage attacks. It needs something watching its 6.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 3:42 am    

Thanks, Wiz. As always, you 'da man.

Guess I better reinstall Malwarebytes.