The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Ultratone 7-String Bridge
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 7:51 am    

I know this is an extreme long shot, but does anyone have one of these they would be willing to part with? There should be at least 141 of 'em out there somewhere; hopefully most are still attached to their original instruments. At least one of them is not, and I sure would like to have it.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a source for a quality reproduction?

I recently acquired an Ultratone-7 that had been converted to a 6-string with parts from an 8-string... go figure??? Sure would like to restore it as close as possible to its former glory.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 7:56 am    

Fully realizing it'd more likely to come across Bigfoot sharing a case of Fat Tire in the woods with DB Cooper, let's bump this to the top one time before we go to Plan B.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 11:39 am    

Congratulations on the purchase. Seven strings on a Gibson Ultratone makes a nice sound. I think the Mahagony does it. I have two of them. The first is in excellent condition, and the second was a body only purchase.

I have been pondering using an unused Stevens bar for a bridge, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The length will accommodate 7 strings with no problem.

I shall look foreward to your solution.

Ron

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 8:58 pm    

With the correct specs given , one could be machined.

Todd

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:58 am     Gibson Ultratone Bridge

Attached are photos of the top and side of the Ultratone bridge.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 8:07 am     Ultratone Bridge

I will follow the photos with an AutoCAD drawing showing all the dimensions.

Ron

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 10:19 am     Gibson Ultratone Bridge

My AutoCAD is not working at the moment, so I will have to just give the dimentions as best I can.

Side to side is 3.25" total.
Front to back is 1.25"
Front to bridge is 0.1"
Bridge thickness is 0.1"
Front to back of string retainer is 0.8"
The four screws nearest the corners are wood screws holding the bridge to the body.

The lone screw near the back side is either a headless machine screw, or half wood screw, half machine wood screw to hold the cover on.

It has never been removed.

As the end photo shows, the transitions are rounded on the insides. Presumably for additional strength.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:12 pm    

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
With the correct specs given, one could be machined.

Todd

Thanks for weighing in on the subject, Todd. As you suggest, fabricating a replica appears to be the best option at this point, as original Gibson 7-string units just don't appear to be available anywhere.

Ron, thank you so much for the photos and specs. They will likely prove invaluable. Two questions: What is the string spacing from 1-7 as measured at the string retainer? What is the spacing between individual strings?

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 5:42 am     Gibson Ultratone

The string spacing from string 1 to string seven is 2 & 3/8" at the ball end.

Do you have the nut for the guitar?

Ron

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 6:14 am    

The space between adjacent strings is virtually impossible to measure because each string has a different diameter. Even Gibson couldn't know what diameter of strings I will use after all these years.

Ron

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 6:43 am     Check out RAM Steel Guitars

RAM Steel Guitars already has machined Aluminum versions of the Gibson Patent Bridge.

Not sure if he makes - would make a 7 string for you or if he sells parts stand alone.

Save a lot of programming and prototyping just for a 1 off item.
YouTube Channel

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 5:10 am    

Ron, thanks for the measurements. Yes, the original nut is on the guitar. It's one of the few original components still present, besides the 7 tuners, the plastic fretboard, and the body. The original pickup, bridge, and the sheet metal plate they ride on have gone missing. Same for the fragile hinged plastic headstock and bridge/pickup covers and the original electronics (pots, caps, wiring, etc.).

The instrument is one that somewhere along the line had been badly butchered. It appears to be a very crude 6-string conversion. Looks to me like someone took the mounting plate and pickup from an 8-string Gibson Skylark, chopped off the bottom end containing the pots and jack, installed it on the 7-string Ultratone body, and strung it up with 6 strings. Ted McCarthy must be rolling in his grave.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 5:14 am     Re: Check out RAM Steel Guitars

George Piburn wrote:
Not sure if he makes - would make a 7 string for you or if he sells parts stand alone.

Thanks, George. Ron M. was the first guy I contacted. Unfortunately, he has no 7-string units in stock. He graciously put me in contact with a gentleman in Arizona who may be able to help.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 6:02 am    

Jack,
I'd be interested in what you ultimately decide on for a solution. I'd like to convert my battered Electar to 7-string (If Todd C. is watching - this is NOT the one you sold me. I'm not that hard on my guitars. Shocked ) I was planning to fab one from aluminum angle but it would be nice to have one made by someone with better skills. Maybe your fab guy could mill a long extrusion and make several bridges at once? I might check with a local machinist as well.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 7:52 am    

Hi Jack,

I am almost ready to go the six string route with my second Ultratone. There are a couple of original six string bridges, and nuts on Ebay right now.

I had the good fortune/dumb luck to pick up an extra set of blue/gray plastic covers many years ago.

If you decide to have a seven string bridge and nut made, let me know, and I'll purchase a set also.

Ron

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 11:49 am    

Ron Simpson wrote:
If you decide to have a seven string bridge and nut made, let me know, and I'll purchase a set also.

It appears that if I'm ever gonna get this thing in playable condition, that's the route I'll have to follow. I will be sure to let you know.

I would rather find an original, but so far that seems unlikely. Anyone have a spare?

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:18 am    

I took the easy way out, I picked up a six string bridge and nut for #2. I'm still in for a seven string reproduction set if they become available.

I have to get to work on a fret board now.

Ron

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 2:37 pm    

To the top one more time in what seems to be a futile quest.