The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheap mini lap conversion. Advice requested.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 7:57 am    

Hey Folks,
I picked up this little "beauty" for $6 at the local resale shop a while back.

https://goo.gl/photos/mQMUFSBihirSc4kr6

It's a First Act, everything about it is cheap-cheap-cheap and it's a short scale, but the built-in speaker actually works pretty well so it might be something fun to keep in the car or take on trips.

I'm thinking about converting it to a lap for me and my kids to mess around with so I've got a couple questions.

1) Should I go with a nut extender or just buy a metal nut? The cost would only be about $8 either way.

2)The bridge is a fixed piece of slightly slanted bent metal. Is there any reason to replace it? I figure I could always just shim a pice of wood under there if I have to raise it up. I have an extra non-trem strat bridge I could replace it with or I could buy something, but I'd rather not spend too much on this.

3)I'll leave the electronics as-is for a while, but any suggestions for a cheap strat-style replacement pickup? Maybe something from GFS or somesuch?

Thanks!

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 8:47 am    

Your sound is never going to be any better than that tiny built-in speaker so no, don't waste your money on a better pickup. I'd just go with a nut extender, shim the bridge for higher action and enjoy.

I'm curious as to whether the slanted bridge gives you intonation problems though.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 9:13 am    

Looks like fun!

1) Either way: I think that having a Nut Extender or two in the Parts Box is always a good idea.

2) You could always angle the Bridge Plate so that the Saddle is perpendicular to the strings.

3) As Bill pointed out, the sound will never be any better than the Tinny Little Speaker. If one isn't already there, you might consider adding a Standard Output Jack.
I have been very happy with GFS Pickups, but don't expect dirt cheap there. It will be at least $25 plus postage. If you want a new/old pickup, I would suggest starting by asking to check out the Junk Drawer at your Local Guitar Shop.

Could be a Good Project. Enjoy! Cool

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 9:31 am     Nut and Bridge

I have these nut and bridges , made of Polymer infused with Stainless Steel , they can also be buffed to shiny.

They are ready to install, notched for typical guitar pickup spacing at the bridge (.390) and 3/8 (.375) at the nut.

All of the critical work is done simply screw them down and presto, instant lap steel set up 1/2" tall.

Factor in the Time - Labor Savings and exacting precision of the notches and they are less than Free.

These Baby's are dense - strong - durable - sound really good too.

I also have these in a black Graphite infused Polymer that are conductive incase you need to ground the strings at the bridge.

Stainless steel

Black Graphite Conductive

YouTube Channel

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 12:34 pm    

Thanks for the advice folks!

As for the pickup, the speaker will always be tinny, but it has a switch to turn of the speaker and go through the output jack so at some point a slightly better pickup might be nice. Either way though I'll probably stick with the stock electronics for a while.

George, those look good, but I don't want to mess with drilling string-through holes in the current body yet. However, building my own kit someday sounds like fun and I'll keep your website in mind.