INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Photobucket Holding My Photos
George Redmon

Post Posted 29 Jul 2017 3:19 pm     Reply with quote

Seems photobucket is holding mine and a lot of other users JPEG'S hostage. They want $400 from everyone. I thought that's what a photo hosting site was for, to host photos? They claim to be working towards a solution. I agree they are black mailing their users.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update
Dave Potter

Texas
Post Posted 29 Jul 2017 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Photobucket holding pictures for ransom - I've used it for years without issues.

However, David Mason posted a separate question about problems with photobucket.com, and I decided to try it today to see what would happen. I uploaded an image, and while I was on the site, I got the following lovely little lov-a-gram, which totally locked up my Firefox browser, and reappeared after I force-stopped Firefox and re-loaded it:

I have no "authentication" enabled on my Firefox browser, and clicking on the "Authentication Required" box to close it had no effect - it wouldn't close.

It's obvious there was a poorly-crafted phishing attempt here. I did a malware quick-scan, as well as a total scan - my anti-virus software found nothing, but I'm extremely wary of photobucket.com now.