The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Photobucket Holding My Photos
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 3:19 pm    

Seems photobucket is holding mine and a lot of other users JPEG'S hostage. They want $400 from everyone. I thought that's what a photo hosting site was for, to host photos? They claim to be working towards a solution. I agree they are black mailing their users.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 5:35 pm    

I don't know anything about Photobucket holding pictures for ransom - I've used it for years without issues.

However, David Mason posted a separate question about problems with photobucket.com, and I decided to try it today to see what would happen. I uploaded an image, and while I was on the site, I got the following lovely little lov-a-gram, which totally locked up my Firefox browser, and reappeared after I force-stopped Firefox and re-loaded it:

I have no "authentication" enabled on my Firefox browser, and clicking on the "Authentication Required" box to close it had no effect - it wouldn't close.

It's obvious there was a poorly-crafted phishing attempt here. I did a malware quick-scan, as well as a total scan - my anti-virus software found nothing, but I'm extremely wary of photobucket.com now.