The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with chord (this version of sweet hour of prayer)
Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 8:57 am    

Can someone please listen to Big Papa play "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and help me figure out what chord he is playing right after the 4...( sus maybe?) The song is in the key of C so the part I am wondering about is right after he goes to the F, and before he goes back to the C. Thank you in advance for your help here is the link:

https://youtu.be/S6-el1DaRDE

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 10:24 am    

It's a 4#Dim Chord and pedal in your 5th string. So lets say you are in C and sounds like he does a walk up to pedal down 4 chord "F".. so the next position for a 4#dim on E9 would be 10th fret; strings 5;6;8 and no pedals raise 8th string a half tone and then pedal in and out of string 5 for the effect; then back to no pedal C chord on 8th fret.
Ricky

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 10:27 am    

Ricky thank you very much for this tutelage. As I have said another posts I have only been sitting behind a steel for three months so I am not very good at figuring out how to play what I am hearing. This is definitely the most difficult instrument in my opinion that there is to attempt to play but the most beautiful when played correctly. Hopefully one day I will have the skill to be able to help someone who is where I am today. Hopefully it will be my 11 year old son because he wants to learn to play too!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 5:31 am    

That's definitely the chord and lick Ricky (I expected no less) but question is why do you refer to it as a 4#dim? THE Song Is IN C like you said, but to at fret 10 raising the 8 and pedaling in on A with strings 8,6 and 5.......isn't that a 7 chord (B)? I'm not being argumentative so I hope you don't take it that way....I just don't knoe much about chord structure outside of majors, minors, 7th and am trying to learn. I know the same set of notes can be more than one thing ( example would be the notes A-C-E can be an A minor but it can also be a C of some kind. Guess it depends what everyone else is doing in the band.) Is that the case here?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 2:18 pm    

Don't worry Jim; you will learn about more chord structures and substitutions; as you learn more music theory in the applications of pedal steel guitar. I can't teach you the proper procedure at this point; I don't teach anymore as I don't have time; with the huge pile of steels I'm working on; and my gig/session schedule and my 7 year old daughter all the other times.
Ricky