The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Nashville Area Lap Steel Repair/Maintenance?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 3:14 pm    

Can anyone tell me a great place in/near Nashville to have my vintage lap steels serviced?

For a town famous for country music, ya rarely see a store (beyond the high-end vintage market) that carries lap steels--

and (respectfully) I don't want a twenty-something heavy metal guitar-tech-type messing with my instruments! Smile

Thanks!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 3:59 pm    

Gruhn Guitars?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 4:46 pm    

I have zero idea how booked up he might be but the legendary Joe Glaser over the years has done quite a bit of lap steel work for Jerry Douglas.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 5:45 pm    

Carter Vintage all the way. They just did some work on my 52 dual pro- excellent friendly service, and a great steel/ square neck collection while you wait.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 6:18 pm     Carter....?

Thanks, Asa!

I was at Carter and they had about 7-8 Vintage laps, all a bit over-priced (tho, in fairness, most are on consignment).

Now, I don't know about their repair service, which I'm sure is great--but, I fear, also pretty pricey.

All you have to do is walk in the door of Carters and realize that $$$ talks. It is (sadly or not, depending on your point of view and bank account), a big show of how things mostly aren't any more.

That's why I like to hang out here with you folks.

Again, thanks--I'll look into it, but I'm hoping to find a regular guy around these parts who knows and loves laps. I'd rather pay him (or her) than a company.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:09 am    

My advice is try Carter once- see if you're happy. I've had two items in their repair shop, and ultimately they've done great thorough work that's held up, and I've been happy with the price- as you said- you don't know about their repair service. They're not Gruhns, and they're not guitar center.

I'd also get ahold of Buck Reid- he works through Steel Guitar Nashville, and may be available privately. He's great with pedals, may be great with no pedals too, and you won't find a better guy.

Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 9:39 am    

What happened to Bobbe Seymour's store. Did it survive after his passing?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 10:23 am    

Steve,
Steel guitar Nashville is still going strong. Great people and a great selection of guitars. Bob hempker from the Loretta Lynn show is there and Michele. Buck Reid is onsite doing repairs.

Ron Hogan
Nashville

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 2:48 pm    

What do you need serviced? Lap steels are pretty simple devices, nowhere near as complicated as a Spanish guitar in terms of set-up. Other than pickup problems...?

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 5:07 pm    

Glaser. Or British Audio on Charlotte if you're on the West Side.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 7:42 am    

I thought Carco Clave was doing some repairs for a few stores in the Nashville area some time back. You could possibly check with him. He was doing some gigs with Chuck Mead....
Gary