The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  CLOSE!! Harlin Brothers MULTI KORD. (Sunburst) CLOSE!!!
Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 4:16 pm    

NO LONGER LOOKINGI'm looking for my friend for a SUNBURST color Harlin Brothers Multi Kord with preferably 6 pedals but will settle for 4 pedals as long as it's SUNBURST in color.

NO LONGER LOOKING
Thanks a bunch,
Gloria

BOB, PLEASE CLOSE. Thank you.

Last edited by Gloria Baldwin on 26 Sep 2017 11:46 am; edited 12 times in total

Bob Gondesen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 6:56 pm     Cheap Multi Kord Project Guitar

HI GLORIA
I SAW YOUR POST WANTING A SUNBURST MULTI KORD
8 STRING PEDAL STEEL GUITAR .
I HAVE A GIBSON ''1953'' NOT SURE OF THE YEAR ,
8 STRING , 4 PEDAL MULTI KORD , SUNBURST COLOR .
THE GUITAR IS IN REMARKABLE GOOD SHAPE . IT APPEARS
SOME WORKED ON IT .
A FRIEND OF MINE LEFT IT TO ME A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK.
I AM TRYING TO DOWN SIZE SOME OF MY EQUIPMENT .
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I COULD SEND PICTURES .

BOB GONDESEN
LA MARQUE ,TEXAS

PHONE 409-229-1294

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 5:58 am     Harlin Bros Kalina Multi Kord 8x6

Hi Bob, I couldn't wait to tell my friend only to hear that a GIBSON is not as well made and functional as the HARLIN BROS Multi Kord. If you see or hear of a Harlin Bros for sale, this is what my friend is really wanting. Has a love for the SUNBURST color.
Thank you for your kind reply,
Gloria

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:40 am    

The Gibson is VERY well made compared to a Multi Kord.
And, as far as I know, the changers are very similar.
In fact, Gibson had to quit making their guitar over patent infringement.

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 1:52 pm    

Changers are the same. By todays standard for pedal guitar both are obsolete and worthless, unless for their original intention, the greatest idea to come this way. 'Lessen you'd come along learning to play the Hawaiian Steel Guitar decades ago, it would be impossible realize the benefits of the "Harlin Bros" changer from years ago. I do recall the Gibson being a prettier Steel. I seem to remember a lawsuit against Gibson for this reason. No one can touch the Console Grande for it's ease of playing and beauty. JMWO. J. Y.

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 11:17 am     sunburst Multi-Kord

I have a sunburst Multi-Kord my father bought new for me in 1948 from Harlin Bros where I started taking lessons when I was 10.. I got to know all of the Harlin Bros. well and ended up teaching in their studio at age 14 on Saturdays.
It is original with sunburst finish all cast aluminum body.
The changers were superior to the Gibson Electra Harp in that they had a locking nut on the tuner screws and therefore held tuning much better.
Yes there was a controversy because of patent infringement. Jay Harlin was the first to patent a pedal steel guitar changer with his Multi-Kord. I believe he was granted the patent in 1947.
I am now almost 80 yrs. old and can no longer use the pedals on a Multi-Kord. The one I have is all there but not perfect cond.
If your interested let me know.

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 11:26 am     Multi Kord. Sunburst

Hi Danny,
If your multi kord is a HARLIN BROTHERS and not a Gibson I would be interested. How many strings and pedals does it have?
Thank you very much for your reply.
Gloria

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 10:32 am    

Gloria, Danny James is the greatest living authority on MultiKords. He knew the Harlins personally and worked with them. Whenever I have a question on my MultiKords (and I have several of them) I consult Danny.

By the way, the Gibson isn't anything like as good as the Harlin. It's also a lot heavier. The MultiKord is probably the lightest and most portable pedal steel ever made. What's more, you can change the copedant in minutes, from above, without having to climb under the instrument or turn it upside down.

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:36 pm     Multi-Kord

Alan Thanks for the kind words. You always give me a lot to live up to.
I have been in communication with Gloria about my Sunburst 4 pedal 6 string Multi- Kord, then before I got to taking pictures to send to her, we had to make a run for it from Hurricane Irma.
We are in Indiana now after spending 22 hrs. on the road making an otherwise what would be a 15 hr. straight through trip. Sad ending Fri. at 4:00 p.m. safe and sound. Praise the Lord.
So if Gloria has not found one in a couple of weeks or so, when we return to Florida I fully intend to keep my promise of sending her the pictures she requested.
So Gloria I have not forgotten you, and I am truly sorry for the delay. We were touch and go as to whether to ride out the storm or make a run for it. As of today they haven't gotten the electricity back on in our area in Florida yet. And now we just had my wifes brother pass away today,
Pray for those less fortunate than us who are there in Florida without electricity, water, food, and sewage facilities, and who are in the shelters there.
I thank our Governor Rick Scott, and all the volunteers and everyone who has helped in anyway to save the many lives that could have been lost. It could have been much worse if it were not for these heroes who risked their lives to save others. God bless them all.

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 6:05 pm     Sunburst MultiKord

Hi Danny,
I'm in no hurry for the pics. Please take your time. No one seems to have a sunburst Multi Kord to sell right now. My friends Mother ideally wants an 8 string 6 pedal sunburst but people probably don't want to part
With it.
Yes I totally agree that the Harlin Brothers Multi Kord
has the Gibson Electra Harp beat out hands over fist.
I look forward to your pictures.
Very sorry to hear of your loss. God Bless you and your family Danny, and all those affected by the hurricane. I always pray for the wonderful people who help out.
Kind regards
Gloria

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 8:58 am    

Danny: Sorry to hear of your plight. Here on the West Coast we read the news and watch the TV reports, but it really brings it home to us as an ongoing live event when people we know are involved. Your brother-in-law's passing adds sorrow to an unexpected life unheaval. I hope things improve soon and you get back to normal without further loss.

Gloria: I apologise for diverting your post, and I hope you get your MultiKord.

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 9:14 am     Sunburst Multi Kord

Thank you Alan. My friends 85 year old Mother has learned to play the Multi Kord recently and is wanting so bad the sunburst color with 8str/6pdls. Looking forward to Danny's pictures whenever he can get them. No hurry.

Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 10:28 am     sunburst Multi-Kord

I appreciate all of the kind words. Thankfully everything for the most part is OK at our place in Florida. Our hearts go out to everyone who has suffered loss of any kind. Traffic was so heavy on I-75 driving up that it took us 22 grueling hrs. to make a 15 hr. trip, non stop except for gas & restroom.
As to an 8 string Sunburst Multi-Kord I have never seen a sunburst 8 string in the year mine was made 1947 or 48 with a cast aluminum body. If they made one I have never seen it.
Jay Harlin had two personal Multi-Kords that each had 11 pedals on them. They were wood bodies as opposed to cast aluminum like mine is made of. I don't remember if they were 6 or 8 string.
Then Jay had another special built Multi-Kord with 15 pedals in two rows one above the other on the left end of the guitar as all M-K's were. This one had a yellow mother of pearl finish, with clear orange fleourescent lids over the tuning keys, and also the changer.
Like all M-K's you could change the pedal tunings/copedants in a matter of minutes without turning the guitar upside down.
What "modern Country Pedal Steel Guitar" being made today can offer this feature? Don't we wish they could?
And in a price range that parents could buy one for their kids to learn on without breaking the bank. That is why Harlins designed their M-k's the way they did. They loved to see kids get started in music, and were determined to keep their instruments affordable. The student models were priced under $200

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 7:37 am    

According to the Morgan Freeman inflation calculator:

What cost $200 in 1948 would cost $2026.00 in 2016.
Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2016 and 1948,
they would cost you $200 and $18.65 respectively.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 7:56 am    

I have one i believe..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 8:04 am     Sunburst Multi Kord

Hi Micky,
Oh wow!! Could you send some pics. Would love to see it.
Thank you for your reply. My fingers are crossed.
Gloria

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 8:43 pm    

I bought a Multi-Kord from Danny years ago. It was set up perfectly and the price was right. Plus with the history of Danny's affiliation with the Harlin Bros. and his enthusiasm and knowledge with the Multi-kord. It was a historic purchase I am proud to own.

I would like to think Danny is 'The Guy" when it comes to these instruments.

Thank you again Danny and I hope you are well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 9:05 am     Sunburst Multi Kord

You are so right about Danny and his knowledge about Multi Kords since he was there with the brothers. What a great opportunity he had. Danny's love for the instrument is very clear. It's getting hard to find any 8 string 6 pedal now days, let alone a sunburst color. We are not clear just how the sunburst looks. we know it's not like the Febder 400 color. Wouldn't that be a beautiful multi kord. Looking forward to seeing any pictures of a sunburst Multi Kord. Thank you very much....Gloria

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 3:05 pm    

It's not that difficult to respray a MultiKord any colour you want.... Winking

I'd love to know what happened to Jay Harlin's MultiKord specials.

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 2:13 am     Harlin Brothers Multi Kord Pedal Steel

Hi Bob,I'd like too close this post as my friend is no longer looking for this Multi Kord. Thank you all for your replies
Gloria