The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oahu Tonemaster???
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 8:57 pm    

Thoughts on this one w/ the checkboard binding? I think they are mostly from 50s...

Thanks, all!

And advice--this IS the pick-up in it.....
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 2:03 am    

This version was built by Kay. It was replaced by a Valco-built version by 1953.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 6:31 am    

I have a couple of them. One of my main gigging lap steels... The scale is a bit longer than most lap steels ..over 25" I believe.. I love the tone control on these.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 7:01 am    

I've played one like this for several years. Good tone & it really stays in tune well. Long scale means some slants may be difficult; increasing the string spacing at the nut might help. I took the pickup cover off mine and replaced the volume pot with a concentric volume/ tone control, eliminating the tone knob on the bass side. It doesn't look as pretty, but this makes it possible to damp the strings at the bridge and keeps the tone knob from interfering with your right hand and getting accidentally moved. I also stuck a pick guard on mine; the finish looks good but it's really fragile. The one in your photo looks mint. If you want to play, find one with a few dings so you don't have to baby it.