The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Split tuner challenge on string 7 ?? ( Carter - rod style)
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:11 am    

On the E9 neck (Carter) I have what appears to be a split tuner nut on the lowering finger of string 7, attached to the A pedal. String 7 fingers are otherwise unoccupied, there is no change on it. The nut is painted red like the other split.

I cannot figure out the use of it. If it was intended as cabinet drop compensation, it should be on the raise finger, besides there is no significant cabinet drop warranting it.

Any theories? tnx

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:15 am    

It's not a cabinet drop compensator there.

That's a standard compensator change to true the 7th string F# when pedals are engaged. It needs to be lowered just a tad, and it's installed correctly.

Lots of players use it, some don't.

I can't give you any tuner settings for it. I just ear tune it with pedals down. It's only a very few cents.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:47 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
It's not a cabinet drop compensator there.

That's a standard compensator change to true the 7th string F# when pedals are engaged. It needs to be lowered just a tad, and it's installed correctly.

Lots of players use it, some don't.

I can't give you any tuner settings for it. I just ear tune it with pedals down. It's only a very few cents.

Jerry is 100% correct. I even added that to my push pull. Not required but pretty nice to have IMHO

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 6:09 am     Begging your pardon

I dont get it.

You are saying that the F#, which drops a couple cents when pedals are depressed and the compensator is idle, needs to be dropped further with this device? It sounds even less sweeet to my ears.

It seems like you'd want to pull the F# back UP a couple cents to true.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 6:30 am    

Yes, that's the concept. If your guitar has a lot of detuning when the pedals are activated, the comp may not be necessary. It also depends on how you tune and play your guitar.

I use them on all my guitars, but whatever works for you.

You can always slack off that tuning nut if it's affecting your tuning adversely.

There are several archived discussions about this if you want to search for them.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 8:31 am     Re: Begging your pardon

Keith Bolog wrote:
You are saying that the F#, which drops a couple cents when pedals are depressed and the compensator is idle, needs to be dropped further with this device? It sounds even less sweeet to my ears.

It seems like you'd want to pull the F# back UP a couple cents to true.

As mentioned before, the tuning method you use will dictate the need (or lack thereof) of a compensator.

For example, if you tune E.T. (Equal Temperament, straight up to zero on a tuner), you may not need compensation; if anything, it would be like you said -- you would want the 7th string to be raised a few cents with the pedals down to compensate for the few cents it's lowered by cabinet drop. But it's too small to worry about if it's only 2 cents or so.

However, if forum polls are to be believed, most people tune to something other than ET. We're talking things like tuning by ear (Just Intonation), the Newman chart, or the offsets programmed into a Peterson Tuner. In these tuning systems, the pedals-down chord -- particularly the offset from zero of the third interval -- is usually flatter than the open E chord. Sometimes, it's quite a bit flatter. This creates a problem where, ideally, the F# wants to be in two places: it wants to be tuned one way to blend with the other strings with pedals up, and then tuned much flatter to blend with pedals down. This is where a compensator can help.

Therefore, they might tune the 7th string at the keyhead to work well in the no-pedals world and then tune the compensator to pull the 7th string a bit lower when the pedals go down. How many cents? Depends on the individual's tuning method. I don't have compensators, but if I did, I would need to drop the F# 10 cents when moving into pedals-down mode.

It sounds like you don't need a compensator, so as Jerry suggested before, just loosen the nylon nut so it isn't doing anything when you step on the A-pedal. Better yet, just take the hardware off. And then send me a private message. I'll buy the rod and bellcrank from you. Very Happy

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 6:23 am    

I could use this,I actually have a few extra split screws that I can use...wondering why I never thought of doing that!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:15 am    

Can split tuners work as a compensators?

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 10:04 am    

Yes, I don't see why not. If you're willing to give up the split and repurpose that pull rod to another string it should work. You might need another bell crank, depending on your set up.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 1:03 pm    

I am assuming that when Stu said "split screws", he was talking about the split screws in the changer, not the extra rod (which are not screws).

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 11:03 pm    

Richard,Yes,Dont know if it's gonna work...probably not!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.