The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

Do You Think Used Pedal Steels Are Overpriced?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 23 ]
About Right by Comparison
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Depends On The Make and Model
50%
 50%  [ 55 ]
Definite No
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 108

Author Topic:  Price Poll
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 5:17 pm    

Whaddya think?

I see some used steels listed for around 2-2500 that I personally wouldn't pay 1500 for.

What I mean by that is certain brands and models.

Just because someone says "Great steel, I used to own one of those" doesn't mean much to me without some credibility and qualification of the person posting such remarks.

It means something coming from a known respected player, not so much from someone I've never heard play or know anything about.

So, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 22 Jul 2017 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:03 pm    

It mainly depends on the CONDITION, and the brand.
I have bought 4 used D-10 Sho-Buds (3 were from Forum members). some of these had earlier pictures of the guitar, a couple of them that did NOT show its current condition (bad dings in fretboard, many missing parts on C6th neck, completely coated underneath with cigarette / smoke 'gunk', scratches/rust on some of the legs ....
With help from a couple of Forum members, I got the missing parts at a reasonable price, and spent many hours just to get both necks cleaned and in very good working order.

I have one Sho-Bud arrived very clean from a current Forum member; all I had to do was put my setup on it.

So, Buyer Beware, and ask questions and get current pictures before making an offer.

Thanx,
Jim

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 7:04 pm    

It mainly depends on the CONDITION, and the brand.
I have bought 4 used D-10 Sho-Buds (3 were from Forum members). some of these had earlier pictures of the guitar, a couple of them that did NOT show its current condition (bad dings in fretboard, many missing parts on C6th neck, completely coated underneath with cigarette / smoke 'gunk', scratches/rust on some of the legs ....
With help from a couple of Forum members, I got the missing parts at a reasonable price, and spent many hours just to get both necks cleaned and in very good working order.

I have one Sho-Bud arrived very clean from a current Forum member; all I had to do was put my setup on it.

So, Buyer Beware, and ask questions and get current pictures before making an offer.

Thanx,
Jim

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 8:44 pm    

What can go wrong:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316333&highlight=excel

There's an April 28 thread offering it for sale (Billy Carr "my camewa's bwoken") and a second Excel Resto thread (Mike Scaggs) following the undoing of the carnage.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 2:18 am    

I have a Franklin but I think that the prices for steel's mostly are way over priced, even Franklin's.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 3:10 am    

The listing price, even if it seems high, tells all prospective buyers the RANGE that the seller is seeking. In most cases it's a starting point reference . IF it's too high it won't sell, if it's too low it will sell too fast ! !

Also, that thread linked above from Damir, thats not about a selling price thats about something entirely different.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 4:53 am    

If you take things in perspective; considering the amount of materials, machine work, and assembly time involved, the price of pedal steels appears relatively low in comparison to other used instruments. A fine quality, pre-owned resonator guitar normally runs in the $2000.00 to $3000.00 range, banjos regularly list for between $2500.00 and $5000.00, and F-5 model mandolins from certain builders can command close to $10,000, some even higher. But the most obviously overpriced in my opinion are solid body electric guitars! What makes a slab of Ash or Mahogany, a maple neck, some minor hardware and two pickups worth $2500.00+? Most Fender guitars can be bolted together in a matter of minutes rather than the hours that it takes to assemble and adjust a pedal steel properly.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 4:55 am    

Tony makes a good point, some guitars won't sell because of the high price. I'd say that prices for used guitars have gone up in the last couple of years. And there seems to be fewer really bargain priced ones lately. One of the factors is that a few individuals search the whole country for used guitars, buying them and re-selling, usually for a much higher price. Which tends to raise the average price overall.

There are many used guitars that I would not consider buying, regardless of the price. But that's just me, I know the ones that I like. And there are some brands which sell high that I think are no better that some others which usually sell for a lower price. No point in naming them, it's really a matter of personal preference. I'm sure all this is confusing for new players, trying to find a good guitar. I'd say, if you like a guitar, you should buy it, and not think too much about the price, as long as it's not outrageously high. Then play it and enjoy yourself.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 1:20 pm    

Ive had a MSA, Sierra uni 12 , A BMI double 10 , A simmons , A wheeler 14 string and a sho bud super pro Which was very over priced given the condition However in saying that I believe they were all priced reasonable , expensive yes but still within reason except the sho bud which i was Not very happy after recieving it and it was no where near the guitar that the BMI was period very over rated in my opinion 2780.oo dollars was what i paid for it wasnt worth 1500 in my book .Ill never buy a used pedal still again and if i ever decide i want one Ill buy a NEW guitar, that way im sure of what i paid my money for . My opinion might differ from someone elses but hey its my money im spending . Russ

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 6:10 pm    

I've always said that pedal steel guitars for the most part are a bargain compared to other instruments considering the mechanical complexity, cabinets and tons of small parts and I still feel that way. It's amazing to me that builders can come out with any profit making these things and still effect improvements all along the way.

A labor of love and one I personally salute you for.

I suppose it speaks well for the market that there is still this great a demand for them.

I guess my poll question concerned used prices based on what they sold for new.

Seems many of you think they're still a reasonable value by that comparison.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 3:29 pm    

In a free market system it is impossible for a steel guitar or anything else to be overpriced. Why? For both buyer and seller the transaction is completely voluntary.

Contrast this with health care, education, gasoline and other products and services where government tampers with the market.

Since steel guitar sellers get no government subsidies and no one is required by law to own a steel guitar it is not possible for a steel guitar to be overpriced.

Anything can be priceless. For example, my personal pedal steel is priceless because I would not sell it no matter how much I was offered. When the heirs to my estate get a hold of it, that may change. Free markets are a wonderful thing because no one is coerced to buy or sell. It is the only economic system where that principle hold. Free markets are also the only reason there is peace anywhere in the world. Sadly that situation is rapidly changing. For now though no one is forcing anyone to buy or sell a steel guitar.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 9:51 am    

A better question might be, "Do you think a piece of string is too long, too short, or the right length?"

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 9:59 am    

Chris Lucker wrote:
A better question might be, "Do you think a piece of string is too long, too short, or the right length?"

I had a piece of string the other day and it was too short. So that's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 3:25 pm    

I thought it was a reasonable poll. Perhaps I should have worded it different, maybe have written too high rather than over priced.

I thought it was a given that I was talking about the run of the mill modern pedal steels.

I guess the moderators can kill the thread if they think it's dumb, useless and a waste of space. I won't ask for it to be closed out of respect for those that took the time to vote...and I appreciate that.

From now on, I'll leave this sort of stuff for the experts to gnaw on. Lord knows there no shortage of them here.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 3:28 pm    

I thought it was appropriate.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 6:50 pm    

Prices of used guitars have gotten ridiculous, considering the demand for them now (not much) as compared to 30-40 years ago (moderate). less young people are getting interested in steel.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 8:05 pm    

I have a very large collection of used pedal steels and saw no relevance.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 9:53 pm     Everything is Overpriced.

We all want a great deal on anything we buy, that's just human nature. Personally I'm not buying a $10,000 steel guitar, Telecaster, Les Paul, or any musical instrument in that price range. In 2005 I bought my '95 Emmons LeGrande II for a whopping $2500, and couldn't believe a Steel Guitar could be so expensive. At my age this will be my last steel guitar to own, and being my favorite steel I've ever owned, it's a keeper. To replace all of the 6stringers and amps I have would cost a small fortune compared to what I have invested in them.