The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need advice regarding a "roaring" coming from amp
Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 9:27 am    

Hi all, so I was playing a minute ago and heard a roar coming from my amp. It goes away if I turn the reverb all the way down though. Doesn't matter of guitar is plugged in or not, it roars of the reverb is above like 2. I have a Nashville 112 with an eminimce speaker. Reverb tank maybe? I'm new to the steel so don't know much. Any help is appreciated!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 9:41 am    

Might be a bad IC chip, either the reverb driver or recovery.
Just in case it's something cheap, try unplugging and plugging back in the RCA plugs at the tank.
Then while they're unplugged (or one at a time), turn the reverb back up.
If it's doing it all the time, those are easy for a tech to find.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 9:44 am    

Gotcha. Here is some advice I got off forum so I am gonna give each of these a try:

Peavey reverb circuits can be a pain. There are molex connections at the reverb pan. Some times those need spray cleaner put on them. Mostly it's just how they are. That's why so many guys use a digital reverb pedal.

It isn't doing it all the time and it is not noticeable when playing.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 6:08 am    

It sounds like the driver circuit for the input to the reverb tank is generating noise. Sounds like it's time for a schematic and an oscilloscope to troubleshoot further.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 8:21 am    

Micheal is that something a dealer could do for me? I don't have the tools or the know how

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 4:52 pm    

This should not be hard to run down. There have to be some decent amp techs I'm Cincinnati or its suburbs.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 2:25 am    

There is NO Molex connector for the Reverb on a Nashville 112. A different/modern connection is used to connect to the motherboard. There has not been a problem with the new style connector.

Could be the reverb pan or an electronics problem in the amp. A "qualified" tech should be able to find and fix it.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 4:15 am    

This issue has been discussed at length in the past. The earlier run of Nashville 112's DID feature Molex connectors to mate the reverb cable to the chassis (my amp was from the first run and featured that style connector). Evidently, due to them becoming problematic, they were later replaced with the newer style system mentioned by Jack.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:08 am    

I had an early NV112 and it did not have the Molex connector. The NV112 uses the same connector as the NV1000. I also had a NV1000 (used it for a long time before the NV112 came out) and it too did not have the Molex connector. Both amps used the same preamp board and the NV112 preamp board is labeled NV1000 on all I've seen. I've done about a dozen op-amp upgrades on various age NV112's and they all had the new style connector.

I recall a conversation with Mike Brown and specifically mentioning when the NV1000 came out (which was several years before the NV112 was introduced) that it did not use a Molex connector for the reverb because of the past history of problems.

I won't disagree with yours, but every one I've seen/worked on were the new style connector.

There are Molex connectors internally in the Power Supply area.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 8:05 am     Nashville 112

Here are a few suggestions if perhaps your amp requires repair;
1-make sure that the vinyl reverb bag fits loosely around the bag; ie, the reverb pan itself fits inside the loose vinyl bag and is not screwed down to the cabinet. It should float inside the bag.
2-the input and output wires to the pan should be pointing towards the front of the cabinet.
3-the complete bag should be positioned towards the front of the cabinet.

Hope that this helps.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation