The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new guy in forum
Danny Frisbie

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 11:42 am    

Hi,

I just aquired an older double neck pedal guitar. It had been set back in a basement for many years. The gentleman's father played it. Needless to say there was a lot of work to do. One of the crossbars had broken loose and everything was rusty. I have it cleaned up and I am now at the point of setting the pull rods and the tuning pegs (not the keys) up to put the strings on. I have never played a steel and know very little about them. Patrick Brenner suggested I get on the forum and may be able to get some help and advise. The unit appears to be a push/pull type unit that is controlled with some gears. Pedals 5, 6, and 8 have 2 gears. When the pedal is pushed the primary gear turns clockwise into the secondary driving it counter clockwise. There is nothing pushed except the rods which allows the 1st 2nd and 7th string to release under the tension of the strings.
My question is the adjustment of the pull rods in conjunction with the tuning pegs. I will stop at this point and see if there is any interest in my project by anyone who may be willing to assist me. By the way, the unit was a "custom" made unit by someone in or very near Myrtle Beach NC.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 4:51 pm    

Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum! You have an interesting guitar...... Looking at the pics, it looks like a pull-release rather than a push-pull. More detailed pics will be a big help also. If this guitar can be made to play, the members here on the Forum will be able to help you, as we have the best steel techs in the world ( ya the world) as members. More than lilkely you will need to visit a tech with the guitar and get it worked on. As to your question, the tuning pegs hold the string at pitch resting. The adjustment on the pull rod brings the string to its raised pitch, with the cross shaft rested against a stop. The gears reverse the bellcrank direction as 5 6 and 8 lower strings on the C6 neck.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 5:01 pm    

What a pretty project.
Some people will tell you that you can't raise and lower the same string, but you can. You just need to adjust the return stop (typically done underneath) to control the open note.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 6:33 pm    

Welcome to the forum!

You can get anything and everything steel guitar here, and MORE.

Not sure where you are in NC, but you have several options for assistance from lessons to repair within this region.

Feel free to PM for any help!

Peace!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 11:43 pm    

Hi Danny,

Welcome to the madness, it's a "nice little hobby."