The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning with Pitch-Lab Pro / No-Sound
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 9:44 pm    

I am using Pitch Lab Pro/Android with a cable from my volume pedal's tuner-out. It seems to be a pretty good tuner, with display that includes strobe, meter, freq. in Hertz and offsets in cents +/-. It supports pedal steel tempered tunings, both built-in and custom.

I learned to tune by setting my E strings with a tuner, then doing the rest by ear. But now I need to make adjustments on stage with no sound.

The tuner works fine for setting all of the open strings on my 10-string E9. Sure would appreciate some help on how to set the pedals and knees. Whatever gets me close after setting up, or when I notice something off during a set. I don't mind using a chart. Thanks everyone!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 2:47 am    

I'm not sure what the question is.
I'd just leave it in ET, and learn what your offsets are, when you check your tuning, know that your Bs are 4 cents sharp and your C# is 17 cents flat, et cetera.
(I don't believe in programming the tuner-if it cocks up and you have to borrow a tuner, you're lost at sea.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 5:14 am    

Its rare that I have to tune a pedal or knee lever. I may have to touch one up after changing strings but that's about all.

However, I use the Newman, at 442.5, settings. The Newman chart has opens and some pedal/knee lever settings (the Newman doesn't include some of the current common changes such as the E9th first string full tone raise).

Get the Newman chart and program your changes with that as a start and see how it works out.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 5:36 am    

Here's a decent set of numbers to either learn, or program into your tuner:
http://www.buddyemmons.com/ttchart.htm

Alternatively, set your tuner to ET, tune your Es to a fork, then tune your guitar by ear, then check it on a tuner, write down the values, and program THESE values into your tuner.

I find that different guitars seem to sound better with slightly different numbers, so you might want a chart or program for each guitar.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 6:46 pm    

Lane, that Emmons Tempered tuning chart worked amazingly well. I'll probably change a few of the offsets. But it's a great starting point. I was surprised how fast it got me to a point where everything sounded good.

It depends on a chart, but one that is easy to use, and won't be hard to memorize.

I'm off to play at a luau style party in the mountains tomorrow, with no worries about being in tune. Just Hawaiian shirts, roast pig, and steel guitar. Life is good.