The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 12" Speaker - Nice!
Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 4:56 am    

Thought I'd add a post about the Telonics 12" speaker (8ohm) for folks thinking about using/purchasing it.

TL;DR: It's awesome!

So for the last 2-3 months I've been using a Quilter Pro Block to gig out with. I had ordered a Mojotone Light Cab, but it took awhile to make, so while it was being constructed I was using a Ear Fuzz Effects 1x12 cab with a Travis Toy speaker.

First, that setup is amazing - the TT is a truly killer speaker. To me, it just "sounds like a pedal steel should." Really killer speaker/cab combo.

So time passed and I finally got the Mojotone and ended up buying a Telonics 12" speaker for it. I was super tempted to throw another TT in it, but I thought I'd vary it up, esp. since both cabs are so light. Then I'd get at least two different tones to choose from.

Last night was the first time taking the Mojotone+Telonics out. Wow!

The whole rig sounded just brilliant. Kinda like an amazing Fender Twin rig. Super detailed, clear, warm (but not dark). IME, the Quilter has a Fender'ish sound, but a little thicker (in the direction of a Hiwatt clean to my ears), and the Telonics speaker really brought it all together and improved it even more. I've read that Telonics was trying to emulate the old JBL D130 speakers. Seems like a legit comparison to me.

Anyhow, now I have two great options to play through and truly can't decide which one to use! Great "problem" to have!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 3:37 pm    

Yes indeed - I recently acquired a Telonics 12" 4ohm. Still finishing the cab for it, but am close enough to try it out and also, a big WOW! from me! Definitely bright and clear, with good string separation. I have not really cranked it up yet (neighbors, don't ya' know), but will let it off the leash sometime soon!

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 5:17 am    

How close are these to a JBL sound? Is it the later E sound or an earlier D120 sound?