The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Lawton, 6/9/36 - 4/29/17
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 8:10 am    

I recently learned from my dear friend and colleague Eddie Ponder, himself a wonderful percussionist, that our old employer and friend Jimmy Lawton had passed away on April 29 of this year at the age of 80. I worked a year with Jimmy from 1971 to 1972, playing the Los Angeles and Las Vegas scenes, only leaving his band to move to Texas in June of that year. The late and great Barney Horn took my chair in "the Lawmen" at that time.

Jimmy was a fine singer, guitarist, and bandleader in Los Angeles during the 1960s and early 70s, who moved to Belgium to become one of the leading country singers on the European scene, partners in a country music theme park, and other music endeavors.

We stayed friends and in touch over the decades and vowed to visit each time he returned to the states to visit family, but sadly those occasions never took place. I remember Jimmy as a good friend, musical mentor, and one who contributed mightily to my maturation as a professional. Some of the lessons he taught me took years to "sink in," but he did provide a lasting example of how a serious musician approached performing for his audiences. He never failed to tell me of how he was proud of my accomplishments in the music world, and his doing so gladdened my heart greatly.

Rest well, old friend.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 10:36 am    

Herb, sorry to hear of your old friend's passing. I didn't ever know Jimmy but I'd seen him perform a time or two up in the valley somewhere when Monte Paul was playing drums for him I believe... Did he ever come back to the USA for a visit?...JH in Va.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 1:18 pm    

Hey Jerry
That photo was taken at the "Cajun Country," a large nightclub on Sherman Way just east of Lankershim, around the corner from the Palomino. Do you remember that joint?

My playing there so infuriated Tommy Thomas (owner of the Pal) that I was 86'd from the Palomino until we left the CC and moved to the Holiday II in El Monte. Laughing

Then when I went back to the CC to briefly work with Jimmy Bryant's band, the whole 86'd thing started over again until Sherry (Tommy's wife) got TT to relent and allowed me to come back and hang at the Pal once more.

That's Eddie Ponder's right hand in the photo, recognizable because Eddie's a left handed drummer. Probably Ron Still on bass, or maybe Richard Trees, don't remember. Sometimes Bryant played lead for Jimmy, sometimes Thumbs played lead, though I was just moving to TX at that time and was in and out of Los Angeles.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 10:57 am    

Herb,I was wondering if know if Clara knows? Sad

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 11:20 am    

LJ
If you're talking about Claire Courtney, I have no idea and I haven't seen her in at least 45 years. She and Jimmy were divorced by the time I was working with him, but she did occasionally come to a gig. But he was dating another gal at that time.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 12:15 pm    

Yes Herb, it's her I was talking about.It's been many years for me too, seeing her! Thanks and God Bless you and your Family Herb. Winking PS Been a long time seeing you too herb! Thanks for the times I've picked with you out here in So Cal.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 1:31 pm    

Herb, I never worked the Cajun Country although I remember the place. I did however work at the Holiday II with Sammy Masters and Blackie Taylor on steel for awhile.....JH in Va.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 6:45 pm     Lawton

I knew Jimmy when he played at The Rain Room at Reseda Bowl inn Reseda. Around 1961. Never worked with him.