The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please run Windows Updates ASAP, re: June 13, 2017.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 8:39 pm    

The Patch Tuesday Windows updates are vitally important for your Windows computers' security. The Shadow Brokers have released more of the exploits stolen from the NSA and are prepping them for zero day attacks. Microsoft has responded by creating special patches to block the most prevalent methods of exploitation. Updates are even being offered to people running the out-of-support Windows XP and Server 2003.

If you have no idea about who the Shadow Brokers are, know that they stole and leaked the NSA code that was rolled into the WannaCry Ransomware last month.

Additionally, Adobe has also released patches for Flash Player and Shockwave Player, fixing critical vulnerabilities in those programs. If you use Firefox, you need to update Flash Player on the Adobe.com website.

Firefox was also updated on Patch Tuesday. All of this is to fend off dozens of avenues of exploitation that have been leaked to the cybercriminal underground.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 4:13 am    

Are these updates included in Win 10 for those of us who allow them automatically?
Nothing updated yesterday that I know of (unless I was out of the room).

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:16 am    

Do a manual check for updates. The auto updates are not all rolled out at the same time. Sometimes its Thursday before I get the Tuesday updates if I don't manually check for updates.

Click on Start/Settings/Update and Security/Check For Updates, in Win 10.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 8:12 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Are these updates included in Win 10 for those of us who allow them automatically?
Nothing updated yesterday that I know of (unless I was out of the room).

Windows 10 definitely was included in Tuesday's patches. Updates are available for Windows 10 build 1607, for the .NET framework, and multiple patches for all versions of Microsoft Office programs. This includes Word and Excel Viewers. MSO is a major target for compromising business networks with spyware and ransomware.

After you update Windows, if you use Firefox, update it and the Flash Plug-in for Firefox. All other browsers now incorporate Flash as an internal module which is updated with the browser.

If anybody still uses Windows 8.0, Vista, XP or Server 2003, please run Windows Update. XP users also need to patch Internet Exploder's version of Flash, via the About Flash Player page.

This is not a test. The latest NSA exploits that were just released by the Shadow Brokers are already being weaponized.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 8:28 am    

Thank you Wiz and Jack. The updates were there per instructions and a 'retry' button.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 11:16 am    

Several years ago I created a repeating reminder in my Outlook calendar for the second Tuesday of every month, which is when the monthly updates are released. I would think Google and any other calendar have the same capability.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 2:10 pm    

I've noticed 2 updates in the new Lenovo computer I got recently, yet no updates in the laptop I have, now used by my wife. Both are Windows 10. Should there be a difference?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 2:19 pm    

Did you do a manual check for updates?

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 3:18 pm    

Not Usually. Guess I better start.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:01 pm     Xp

Hello

I returned to Mac so --

I rarely go on line with the now older HP with XP

Can some one please walk me through how to do this up date

Thanks for the hand holding.

George Boards
YouTube Channel

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 7:51 pm     Re: Xp

George Piburn wrote:
Hello

I returned to Mac so --

I rarely go on line with the now older HP with XP

Can some one please walk me through how to do this up date

Thanks for the hand holding.

George Boards

George;
Windows XP has been out of support since 2014, with a few exceptions for World Wide threats, like WannaCry and other NSA related exploits. You should first try using your built-in link to Windows Update and see if anything new is available, then download and install all that is offered.

Otherwise, in order to receive these updates you will have to go directly to Microsoft's downloads pages and search for XP related emergency patches. Then you'll have to download and install them manually. I can look them up if you can't find them.

I urge you to not put that XP machine on the internet, except to check for Microsoft and Adobe patches!

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:11 am     Built in link

Thanks as always WIZ

I apologise for my in-experience with XP

How or where do I find this Built in LINK ?

Will be good to know how to do this FIX.

At this moment we lost our in home router in a lightning strike recently,

the new NetGear has a different password any way so I can't go on line until my experienced wife resets the lap top to recognise it.

Most likely will not re set to prevent these possible invasions.

Thanks for all you do for this forum.

Best Regards
YouTube Channel

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:49 am    

George,

If my experience is any indication, you can't get these updates for either XP or Vista via Windows Update.

You'll have to go to this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025687/microsoft-security-advisory-4025685-guidance-for-older-platforms

Download the individual fixes that are available for your operating system and run each one manually. AFAIK, that's the only method that can be used for the older systems.

I have one system with each of those OSes and had to do that for both (I still keep the Windows installations patched as best I can, even though the machines are running Linux instead).