The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Electro Harmonics C9 organ machine
Joseph van der Eijk

Netherlands
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:16 pm    

I bought the C9 organ machine effect from Electro harmonics.

The C9 is a box - normally placed somewhere on the floor - with a switch that is pressed down (foot) to activate or deactivate the effect.

I have mounted it box to one of the legs of my steel for easy operation.
Pressing the switch by hand takes a lot of force.
I want to replace the (press down) switch that activates/deactivates the effect by a flip switch to prevent the switch from sliding down the steel guitar leg.
Tried the EHX web site and forum to obtain some information but had no luck there.
Can anybody tell me what type of switch I need to replace the switch?

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 1:27 pm    

You have to open up the box and look at the switch on its underside and see how many lugs are on it. I'm not familiar with this pedal but it most probably will have 6 lugs on the bottom making it a DPDT on/on switch. DPDT means double pole, double throw and on/on means two positions. You can get a DPDT on/on toggle switch that will do the same switching function and be much easier to operate by hand.

Make a drawing of the switch and how the wires are connected to it. If the wires are all different colors then you're good to go. If the switch has wires of the same color, you'll have to add a piece of tape to each wire and use a number code for each wire so you'll know how to wire up the new switch. Make your drawing very carefully and double check it before unsoldering the old switch.

There is a small chance that the switch might have 9 lugs on it. That would make it a 3PDT on/on switch and then you'd buy the corresponding toggle type switch to replace it.

This is not hard to do. Go slowly and carefully and you'll be fine.

Bob M.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 4:59 am    

When I built a 10 loop bypass box I needed to do the same thing--have something easier than stomp switches that could be activated by hand. I used these toggles and it works perfectly.

I do NOT know if this will work as a direct replacement in the E-H pedal.

These are the toggles:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/3pdt-on-on/

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 6:13 am    

The photos on the internet show a 3PDT switch connecting to the main board with a ribbon cable.

You may be asking for trouble getting inside this thing and modifying it.
You may end up voiding the warranty.
In addition, they may refuse to service it if you should ever need it in the future.

I would build a separate true bypass box to do what you want to do, and leave the C9 unmolested.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 6:25 am     Adding An On/Off switch To Your Fx Pedal's Battery

Note: This will kill the signal out of the pedal altogether:

(This post has been revised but some might have a use for this mod so will leave up the link good for as long as the Youtube clip remains online)

Adding a toggle switch to the battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qDJr7CKhk

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 6 Aug 2017 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 7:17 am    

Wouldn't cutting the power to the pedal render the unit inoperable, including the buffered bypass mode? In the video, you can see when he turns the switch off, you hear an unamplified guitar.

I believe that the OP wanted to turn the effect on and off during playing. This doesn't seem to allow that.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2017 7:39 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Wouldn't cutting the power to the pedal render the unit inoperable, including the buffered bypass mode? In the video, you can see when he turns the switch off, you hear an unamplified guitar.

I believe that the OP wanted to turn the effect on and off during playing. This doesn't seem to allow that.

Yup you're absolutely right Richard, without the battery there would be no sound. My bad... Embarassed

Then a remedy could be to isolate the wire on the original switch and switch that in and out.

Either that or just put the pedal on the floor and use your foot... Smile

When using some popular leslie simulators there is an after market switch to control the rotor effect including an "off" position that looks like the halfmoon switch used on organs but that switch is not cheap and involves changing out a switch.

Courtesy of Ashby Soultions

Other than using the footswitch, still looking at modification and expense just to have the effect on the guitar legs.

As AJM mentioned the insides have a computer connector and these connections are difficult to work with.

Joseph, Bruce Wahler of Ashby Solutions is versed in modifying leslie simulator pedals as keyboard players don't like having to press a footswitch either. Might want to give him a ring. He makes and sells devices for the most popular leslie simulators, yet he might know off the top what can be done for this modification to turn off your organ simulator with a toggle switch.

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/moon.htm