The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Gauge Advise C6 Neck
Paul Hutzler

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 9:26 am    

I play my C6 neck tuned to B6.

Has anyone experimented with using heavy gauge strings for a B6 (or universal tuning)?

Sometimes I think the strings feel like they have a slight amount of give. I also think I might get better tone with a heavier gauge string.

I use 68w 54w 42w 36w 30w 24w 22 18 14 11.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 12:42 pm    

I played U12 and U14 for a few years along with D10's at the same time. I also tuned my rear neck to B6 so that switching guitars wouldn't be awkward.

I always used the standard C6 or Universal sets which were the same basically.

I never considered heavier strings, but I don't see why they wouldn't work OK. You're already using the 18 and 22 up top there so you might consider going up maybe 2 sizes on the remaining strings. Most sets use .012 for the first string G, but I'm quite sure a .013 would be fine.

I know .070 used to come in some sets, and the others gauges are available. You'd have to order a custom set or just build a set from singles, but most guitars should be able to accommodate the heavier gauges...a little pedal tweaking will be in order obviously.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 12:43 pm     Re: String Gauge Advise C6 Neck

Paul Hutzler wrote:
I play my C6 neck tuned to B6.

So do I. At first I wondered the same, whether heavier strings might be necessary. But then I realised that 2 thru 6 were the same as the corresponding strings on the E9. You wouldn't put anything tougher than an 18 on string 5, would you? Or a 22 on 6?

So my advice would be just to play it. BTW you don't say why you tune it that way. In my case it's to be able to swap between the D10 and the uni 12 without rupturing my brain.

[Not disagreeing with Jerry - we were both typing away simultaneously, it seems Smile ]

Paul Hutzler

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 10:14 pm    

Thanks. Tthe reason I initially asked was that it feels like the lower strings have a tiny tiny bit too much slack. Maybe its just in my head. Entirely possible.

I was asked why I play B6. I originally tuned it that way in case I ever want to switch to universal. But I prefer B6 because the positions line up with the E9, as you know.

Thanks for your input.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 4:41 am    

I prefer .056 and .070

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 5:34 am    

Paul, I think if I'd never got to play a uni I'd still have stuck with B6 for the reason you say.