The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons LeGrande III 8X10
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 10:52 am    

I purchased this guitar:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=317347

On the forum last Sunday afternoon. The seller, a Michael Sparks had listed it on June 2, 2017. Some how I went into the thread out of curiosity. And wow, it was precisely what I had been looking for, for many years. And it was beautiful.

Since it was over a month on the forum. I figured it was already sold. But I offered to buy it in case it was still for sale.

Thank Jesus it was. I spoke to Mike and the deal was done in moments.

Today at 10 AM the guitar arrived, packaged like a Sherman tank and it is awesome. I could not be more pleased. This guitar is worth MUCH more than Mike's listed price. But even better; this gentle man of gentlemen, sent this guitar to me first thing on Monday morning with out my paying for it in advance.

He is one of the nicest persons I have ever done business with. I of course have sent him the check and it should be there tomorrow. But he is so kind, that it does not matter that I have his guitar and he doesn't have the money yet. Which is normally the other way around. But he chose to send the guitar without receiving a dime in advance. Go figure that!

I just had to tell everyone what a wonderful man Mike Sparks is. I have not the words to adequately describe this man. I thank Jesus for him. He is truly a blessing from our Lord.

And may Jesus richly bless him and his always. And may he do the same for all you.

c.

Last edited by C Dixon on 11 Jul 2017 11:22 am; edited 7 times in total

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 11:44 am    

Carl

Nice to see you back. Please don't be a stranger. You have too much great knowledge and you have always been willing to share with steel guitar community in the past.

Kind Regards,

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 3:48 pm    

I agree with Mark. I too have missed you. I love this forum but it can be a tuff place at times. I also love the LeGrandre 111's. Stepping on the A or the C pedal and not having that 6th string go ridiculously flat is a wonderful thing. Enjoy. RP

Last edited by Ron Pruter on 6 Jul 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 3:58 pm    

Plus 1 & plus 1...glad to see you sharing your time, Carl...and Michael Sparks is a great guy to deal with.
Dave

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 5:23 pm    

Very nice

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 6:56 pm    

Carl, it is encouraging to hear stories like this, that Mike is one of the good guys and also that you are back on The Forum. Seeing those blue words in your post made my day.

For new members, do a search on C Dixon and you will learn a bunch about pedal steel guitar and more. Stevet

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 4:02 am    

I saw the photos; it looks like you found a dream come true.
Welcome back.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 2:57 pm     CD buys a #3

Hey Carl, great to see you back again....hope you like the Emmons Legrand III...looks like you got a great buy.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 3:05 pm     For what it's worth

(Sorry bout the small print)

The guitar as I bought it.

What it will look like when it is finished.

c.[/img][/list][/code]

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 5:37 pm    

Carl, good to see you on here! Are you going to keep a 42 for the tenth string on the E9? I don't think I've seen that done before.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 5:56 pm     042 gauge

Hi my dear friend Roger. That is an error; that is a carry over from a copy of my universal. It should have been a .038. In fact, there should be NO gauges listed in the first chart; since I do not know what they are. And I did not catch that either. I would change it but the chart was copied from a highly gerrymandered "Snipit"; to get it all on one photo; and too difficult to change.

Thanks so much for calling that to my attention,

c.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 6:56 pm    

I would echo Carl's assessment: Mike Sparks is about the straightest guy you could find to deal with anywhere.

Welcome back, Carl.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 9:16 pm    

Carl, thanks for coming back.i have missed your enthusiasm, wit & expertise.
The forum has something for everyone but as it has grown and with that, has changed since its inception in 97/98 but still maintains the "family & friends" hand shake is good enough atmosphere we love so much. b0b still runs this top notch for the lover of STEEL GUITAR!

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 10:23 pm    

Congratulations on getting this fine instrument. Seeing your name come up is such a joy. I have missed your posts.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 6:08 am     A thank you

I am honored and humbled that a number of you have said kind words about me. Thank you very much.

I love you all. And remember Jesus loves us more.

Praise His holy name.

May He richly bless you all always,

c.

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 8:19 am    

I'm curious--what kind of electronics do you install to get all those "conditional" changes? Sounds awesome.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 10:00 am     Electronics and mechanical changeovers

There are two different situations:

1. When the PU switch is moved to the other position, P3, P4, P5, P9, RKL and RKR controls the other neck. And vice versa.

I have modified the switch, so it has a lever attached to it, that is connected to and moves 6 mechanical switchovers, that change what those given pedals and knee levers do. It is automatic and virtually silent.

For example; when the PU is moved to the left (E9th from C6th) LKL will operate ONLY changes on E9th instead of the C6 neck. And vice versa, etc. UNLESS the PU switch is in the "middle" position. Then the pedal or knee lever operates BOTH necks.

2. In addition, there are two electronically controlled switchovers that cause changes on LKLV2 and RKR to change what they do on E9th. This is nothing but tiny, bi-stable solenoids; that causes mechanical switchovers to move to its other position.

The power for the solenoid comes from a modified 'old' Fender Volume/Tone pedal; where the tone capacitor has been disabled and 2 micro-switches (and electronics) are installed at either end of the tone plate.

For example; RKR normally lowers strings 2, 9 and 10, but when the Tone plate is to the right it causes a mechanical "shift" to lower strings 8 and 10 instead. (Note: The chart has been changed since I made the setup above).

I had come up with this design years ago, but I was NOT able to find a small and light enough solenoid that would also be "Bi-Stable". Apparently the device did not exist.

Through the grace of Jesus, it does now. Made in Japan and very inexpensive, if purchased there. I have a friend who lives there and buys them; then sends them to me. In the US they want many times what it costs in Japan.

Praise Jesus' Holy Name.

Thanks for asking and may he bless you and yours always dear friend,

c.

Last edited by C Dixon on 28 Jul 2017 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 9:56 am    

Sorry Carl, somehow I missed your reply to my question. Super interesting concept-- gives me hope for a completely solenoid-driven guitar in the not-too-distant future. Even still, this sounds like a happy medium between tech and traditional mechanics.

Best,
James

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2017 11:59 am     Some corrections to the text.

Thanks James,

I made several mistakes in the last post. I have corrected them for your (and others) reference.

Take care friend,

c.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 7:15 pm    

Great to see you on here Carl, you have been missed!

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 3:59 am     Thank you

May Jesus bless you always Dyke.