The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standard Pedal Height
Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 8:09 am    

Is there a standard pedal height across the industry?

My Sho-Bud LDG, and my Marlen D-10 are very similar in pedal height. I had never really thought about it in the past because their positions have always felt natural to me. And I know a lot of folks will say it is up to the individual, however, I am thinking of playing enhancement by what "experience" has taught you.

I look forward to your opinions and insight.

Thank you.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:17 am    

I don't expect there is a "standard" pedal height. So many variables. High heeled cowboy boots vs. tennis shoes. Deep pile carpet? Small adjustments can make a big difference in the feel of the pedal setup. As a rule, my pedal heights tend to increase the further the pedal is from my left foot in a natural sitting position. Since I play a Day setup (CBA) on the E9, my C (1) pedal will be slightly higher than the B, which is slightly higher than the A pedal. My C6 pedals tend to get slightly higher as they go from 4-8. Each pedal's height has to be configured in relation to ones that may be used in combination.

At a glance, you might think my pedals are basically set straight across. But they're not. Although there's probably not more than a 1/4 inch difference in height between the lowest and highest.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 12:11 pm    

steel guitar is highly adjustable instrument, every time I buy a guitar to use it myself I have to go through the whole process of adjusting the instrument to fit me, with some things not even adjustable, so I just have to get used to it... more then often I get people complaining about guitars not fitting them, it is just a nature of the beast.... even when you receive brand new guitar straight out of the shop, chances are you will have to adjust it to fit you perfectly....

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 1:41 pm     Consider

If all things were equal...and they are not..Smile
Flat pedals all the way across would be perfect..
Your guitars changer has several fulcrum adjustments related
to travel...we also use these settings to balance the forces, and accommodate the
pulls we desire.
We are used to playing numerous lever and pedal combinations,
and the strings all pull at different ratios.
For the AB combination the idea is to have the pedals reach the bottom
at the same time, providing you a positive stop to tune.
HOW you adjust this depends on several design factors, and may actually be dependent on the bell crank placement on a ROUND Shaft, for instance..
Also the strings all reaching their stops in tune is paramount
for Chording in tune...for the E9 neck it's is customary for the pedals to be offset
to a certain degree to accommodate this..
Most guitars have A highest, then C, and the lowest, A
AB combos tune, and BC follow suit.
The MSA guitars allow you to adjust these in seconds while seated at your guitar..
This goes for the levers as well.. This is a VERY useful, functional
design..I will be posting videos on these features shortly..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 2:23 pm    

Would love to know how high off the floor the pedals are on the MSA guitars. I am speaking of the measurement from the tip of the pedal to the floor. I am thinking that they must be consistent as they build each guitar and leave the adjustments up to the individual player. Very Happy
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 4:21 am    

I try to set mine to bottom out about 3/4 inch or so off the floor, so it won't mash carpet pile.
Then a few pedals get raised farther for the purpose of "feel."
This sounds like something getting "overthought."

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 7:35 am    

I recently lowered ALL the pedals on both of my G2's. It actually made all the pedals easier to play, at least to me. The E 9th pedals are easier to roll around on, once again, to me. As for actual depressed height, I never measured, but it's pretty low. Because of the ease of playing my medium height carpet doesn't affect my playing.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 6:38 am    

Jeffrey Snyder wrote:
Would love to know how high off the floor the pedals are on the MSA guitars. I am speaking of the measurement from the tip of the pedal to the floor. I am thinking that they must be consistent as they build each guitar and leave the adjustments up to the individual player. Very Happy

At 3/4" the threaded nut comes off..At its highest point on the Legend is 2.30 inches...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 6:54 am    

With my 'Day' set-up I find reaching my first pedal is a challenge (pedal 1 is my 'C' pedal); to fully depress my C pedal 'on the fly' requires it to be set higher than my 'B' pedal when the C is depressed. The pedal-rod on my Emmons won't permit this due to there not being sufficient threading on that rod.

I'm seeing Buck Reid with my guitar in a couple of weeks and that's one thing I'd like him to fix for me. The way it is now is enough to limit my use of the C pedal which is clearly far from ideal.

I LOVE the specifications of these new MSAs with quick-and-easy adjustments along with their illuminated fret-boards but, in the Autumn of my working life, I'd rather not be hankering after a new steel.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2019 7:52 am    

Like Damir said a couple of years back, even a brand new guitar needs to be fitted like a hand-made suit. I've had two, and on one I even had to move the LH levers. So any guitar new or used will need adjusting.
The important thing with pedals is that they bottom out together. If they look a mess when they're up, so what.