The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans amps.....& the other high end amps?
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 11:24 pm    

Ok, I need to know...what is all the fuss about, regarding the newer Boutique/High End amps....& the gift from God, Evansâ„¢ amplifiers, that have been around for at least 4 decades?

I am completely obsessed with being able to buy an Evans JE-300 amp. They're expensive as hell, like the Milkman, Quilter, etc.....but, to my ears...& my worn out body....worth every penny!!

I believe that all Evans use FET/Class C technology? What is the difference between FET & Class C? I always thought FET, was "the thing," that made Evans amps...sound so similar to the warmth of a beautiful sounding tube amp?

Right now I'm completely & totally bent, on getting the money together for an Evans JE-300 amp. 1-12" speaker, plenty of power, compact, lightweight...& the sound is heavenly!! I have a Roland Cube 80X Amp....& I really love it, especially for its weight & many features. But, I'm a TONE FREAK...& I won't rest until I own the Evans JE-300 amp. My dream amp!! I just wish they weren't so expensive...& financially out of reach!!

So, that's my plan.....on my next amp!!

Back to my original question. What do the Quilters, etc...have, that Evans does not?

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 6:05 am    

I wouldn't overthink it. They sound a bit different, just take the one that has the futures and tone that you like. When the Quilter Steelaire was designed, the used the Fender Twin Reverb with JBL speakers as a point of reverence, and indeed, it's easy to make the Quilter sound virtually identical to the Fender. The Evans has its own sound. I love them both (I have a Quilter Steelaire and an Evans SE200). That being said, you notice the difference when you are switching from one amp to the other, but after you play a few minutes you get used to that amp.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 9:31 pm    

Marco Schouten wrote:
I wouldn't overthink it. They sound a bit different, just take the one that has the futures and tone that you like. When the Quilter Steelaire was designed, the used the Fender Twin Reverb with JBL speakers as a point of reverence, and indeed, it's easy to make the Quilter sound virtually identical to the Fender. The Evans has its own sound. I love them both (I have a Quilter Steelaire and an Evans SE200). That being said, you notice the difference when you are switching from one amp to the other, but after you play a few minutes you get used to that amp.
Yeah, I just noticed what I heard coming from my ZumSteel...to an Evans amp. I've never had THAT kind of tone before! Tone heaven!!

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

David Rupert

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 9:34 pm    

I know you can use headphones with the Evans. Can I also input my stereo as well, so I can play along to music, like I do with my Roland Cube 80X Amp? Hope so!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 3:14 pm    

Class C (as well as A, B, A/B & D) are just the way to configure the tubes or transistors.
You can configure FETs, regular NPN/PNP transistors, or tubes in any of those (although I think D is a special case, reading about it makes my brain hurt).

So, Evans used FETs in Class C.

EDIT: that's theoretically possible, as in it fits the terminology. But Class C would be incapable of making a sine wave, so I would bet that you have it misremembered.
Audio doesn't fare well in a Class C amp.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 4 Jul 2017 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 7:44 pm    

Still in love with my 80's FET 500 EVANS

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 1:15 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
So Evans used FETs in Class C.

Really?

Amplifier Classes

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:10 am    

It has been a while since I last looked at amp classes, so merely assumed David was right. It does seem unlikely, as that'd probably sound pretty crappy. Allow me to edit my post.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 9:10 am    

I use a SE300, with a 15 inch speaker.

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 3:02 pm    

The website lists the new JE-300 as utilizing class D technology. The SE-300 doesn't state how it makes the power but it does say "This amazing combo amp is an upgraded version of the Compactra amplifier that Jim Evans built in the sixties."

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 4:55 pm    

Keith Hilton wrote:
I use a SE300, with a 15 inch speaker.

Me too Keith. After 25 years with an Evans 500LV, the SE300 has the sound and power to put the 500 to shame, IMO Smile

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 6:00 pm    

Quote:
The website lists the new JE-300 as utilizing class D technology. The SE-300 doesn't state how it makes the power but it does say "This amazing combo amp is an upgraded version of the Compactra amplifier that Jim Evans built in the sixties."

Probably based on this design with the Class D power amp instead of the 6L6/7027 tubes and drivers.

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/misc/shobud_compactra_100.pdf
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Scot Buffington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 9:05 am    

Thanks for all the kind words. If you live in the continental US, then you can try out the JE300 touring amp at no cost or obligation to buy. All I ask is the opportunity to work with you over the phone to optimize your amplified tone.

The amp is currently in Maine. Simply call me at 336 270 5700 to get on the list for your own personal test drive.

For more information about the touring amp:
http://www.evansamps.com/je300-touring-amp

For more information about Evans products:
http://www.evansamps.com/products

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 3:28 pm    

In all the discussions of amps the come up on this site, it always strikes me that Evans tend to get short shrift and I don't know why. I've played them since 1984 and have found them not only to be great amps, but product support and personal service is second to none. Scot is always easy to reach and he's the only guy you ever need to talk to. In fact, he once took my call from a gig at 6:45 pm on Cinco de Mayo. (I can't remember what I called about.)

I went from a Peavy Session 500 to an Evans FET 500 LV and felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. Tone was fabulous and I didn't need a forklift to move it around. I bought my current Evans, an RE 500, in 2013 and it is superior to the FET in every way that matters to me: superior sound; more and better features; smaller; lighter.

After all the talk on here and elsewhere, I tried using a Roland Cube 80X a year or so ago and found that it was not in the same universe as the Evans. No offense to Cube fans. But like many things in life, there's a good reason for the difference in price.

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 6:29 am    

I have a JE300 and like it very much. It's a quality constructed amp. It's also a great sounding amp. Several years ago i had an SE200 and regretted ever selling it.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 4:42 pm     Evans JE300

Yes, Scott from Evans is a REALLY nice person. He called me last week, & we talked for quite awhile. I was very impressed with him as a person, & his knowledge of amplifiers.

I plan to buy a JE300, when I have the money saved. I played through one last year...& it was a heavenly experience! The tone was IMMEDIATELY noticeable!! I have a Roland Cube 80X Amp, & it's actually a great sounding amp, with a lot of great features...but, the Evans amps, are in a totally different universe, tone wise. I've always loved the sound of a tube amp, such as a Fender Twin...but I have a very hard time carrying heavy amps now.

I'm really looking forward to owning an Evans amp, hopefully within a few months from now. That's the plan!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 6:09 pm    

I retired my Peavey Nashville 400 when I received my brand new Evans FET-500LV in 1985. I still love my Evans.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 10:10 am     Evans amps

I have 2 Evans amps one is an SE120 I think also referred to as a parlor Amp. with Evans' speaker that came in it I tried A JBL K130 in it and went back to the original Sounds great I also Have an SE 150 Evans which has digital reverb The original speaker sucked I put a BW 1501 SB heavier but sounds pretty good. I guess I don't necessarily think louder sounds better. I have played in some really big venues with 2 NV 400 amps and medium sized with one 100 watt Sho Bud amp with a D130F speaker and was plenty loud. maybe for ROCK and such loud is better but I prefer country and I too am a tone freak and I have a room full of different speaker cabs I prefer two amps as you can EQ them differently and have more volume and flexibility in tone and has a fuller stereo effect. I now use my SE120 and a single channel SHO-BUD with a JBL D130F. sounds great to my ear. Jerry