The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Curious About Pedal Action Adjusting
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 2:26 pm    

So, I notice on the old Bakersfield stuff that the pulls seem to have a very fast action, and on the more modern stuff you hear the long, slow raises.
Occasionally, you'll hear some modern stuff with the quick changes, say some of Paul's work on the Bakersfield album with Vince Gill.
Assuming that changing the rod in the bell crank slot to make a shorter throw will accomplish this, is that something any of you do now and then to change things up?
There's a song on one of Amber Digby's records that Dickey Overbey has the quick changes on.
I suppose they may have multiple guitars with different settings, but I only have the one.
Anybody got any thoughts on this, am I way off base?

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 2:27 pm    

I know that the older stuff the guitars had cables on them, but some of the newer recordings have the quick changes, assuming played on a modern guitar...

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 5:03 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f0oUn-Vq08

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 7:56 pm    

Tim, I know what you mean. On the old Bakersfield shuffle stuff Mooney's pedal licks often sound more like hammer-ons on standard guitar, and I have not been able so far, despite years of trying, to get that effect on my steels from the Seventies and later. Is it the guitars or just me? Oh Well

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:13 pm    

I had a lick that I was working on. Originally the change was on a knee, but it was too slow for the lick. I found that pedals have faster action than knee levers.....if this helps........

......Pat.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 2:18 am    

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Brint. Real fast hammer ons and pull offs. Even if I bounce my foot on the pedals it doesn't sound the same.
I'm not sure that's something I would want on everything, but it would be cool to mess around with. Might take me a bit to get up the gumption to go changing the rod placement in the bell cranks, though.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 6:02 am    

Just a thought...

Since the pedal is a class 2 lever, moving the rod further out on the pedal, closer to your toe, will shorten the distance the end of the pedal has to be pushed to achieve the full action of the pedal on the other end.

In other words, your foot/pedal won't have to travel as far to achieve the same effect. On the downside, the pedal will be stiffer/harder to push. And the pedal height/ rod length will have to be readjusted accordingly.

But the pedal stops and pull rod placement can remain the same so the change would still be in tune/tunable - the bell crank travel would remain the same.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea whether that would help you get to where you're trying to get to!