The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Brooks
Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 1:30 pm    

I was just informed that Tommy passed in his sleep last night. He recently had both legs removed and had problems with kidneys as well. He was a great steel and dobro player. I'll never forget backl in the 70's when he moved here from Cal, he set St. Louis on fire with his Fender keyless. He could play it all, may he rest in peace

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 1:49 pm    

Tommy Brooks has been part of the steel guitar world for as long as I can remember and he was one of the nicest men I have ever known. He was part of the Talent Search at the ISGC for years and years. RIP Tommy. Our prayers are with your family.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 10:23 pm    

Following Sandra's post, here's a photo of Tommy at the last ISGC in 2015.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 8:14 pm    

I remember Tommy's set being one of the highlights of the 2015 Convention. He sat down and amazed me.

He really knocked it out of the park.......and what a tone on the songs he played.

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 11:45 am     Tommy Brooks

Tommy's service will be at Chapel Hill funeral home - Cedar Hill, Mo. Monday, July 17th. Burial the following morning.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 1:00 pm    

I'm sorry to hear this. I've known Tommy for more years than I'd care to remember. I first met him at the old Avalon Room in Lomita, Calif when he was still in SoCal. He was playing with Amil Presson & the Prestones and was playing one of those old Gibson Electraharps (I think that's what it was called). It had three 8 string necks with pedals only on the middle neck. Amil sang Marty Robbins' "The Shoe Goes On The Other Foot Tonight" and Tommy nailed the steel work about as good as the record. I always enjoyed seeing him again at Scotty's convention and catching up. I know he worked for Chrysler when he was in LA and moved to St. Louis for his day work.... A fine steeler and a great guy and he'll be missed.......JH in Va.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 6:22 am    

I knew Tommy and jammed with him back in the 70's. He lived close to my brother in Fenton Mo. What a loss to the community. God bless you Tommy. Love and prayers to your family. RIP Tommy Brooks.