The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Computor Screen Recorder
Jerry Pack

Modesto, Ca USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 1:10 pm    

What is a good software program that will record what is on your computer screen? Video and audio.
Jerry Pack

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 2:24 pm    

I use my smartphone to take photos or video of what's on my monitor. Just mind the reflections, get a good angle, test the exposure and for stability, use a tripod with a phone clamping frame.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jerry Pack

Modesto, Ca USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 2:31 pm     Software

Thanks Wiz,
I never thought of that, great idea.
Thanks,
Jerry

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 2:37 am    

Very, very late to this thread, hope this is helpful none the less........

I found a software download called Bandicam designed for on-line gamers but it works for any images appearing on your screen. Trial versions are available but there is a residual watermark and you're limited to a certain length before any one session times out.

https://www.bandicam.com/

The full version can be started and stopped at your command, 100's of hours recording time if desired plus no water marks. Single PC license is $39 for lifetime guarantee-----not a bad investment, usable in a lot of ways.

HTH

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 4:08 am    

J W Alexander wrote:
I found a software download called Bandicam designed for on-line gamers but it works for any images appearing on your screen.

The native Windows snipping tool can capture images and anything else on the screen quickly and easily, and it's free, but he also wants to save the audio. It can't do that.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 4:20 am    

This is the program I use. There's a free version and paid version.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 4:36 am    

Dave Potter wrote:
J W Alexander wrote:
I found a software download called Bandicam designed for on-line gamers but it works for any images appearing on your screen.

The native Windows snipping tool can capture images and anything else on the screen quickly and easily, and it's free, but he also wants to save the audio. It can't do that.

I'm not familiar with the Windows snipping tool, not capturing the audio at the same time wouldn't be useful for most of my very limited needs.

The version I linked captures everything displayed on the screen and what comes through the audio feed as well.

What I like most about Bandicam is if the audio would be annoying or disruptive while in progress you can mute the sound yet its still part of the whole file.

I did have to discipline myself to start a recording then simply walk away from my PC. At first I'd forget Bandicam records what's on the screen, I couldn't continue using the 'puter while recording. Smile

Carl's version is similar to mine, a bit cheaper by a few bucks. Both would be nice to have on some occasions, they being lifetime licenses makes them a good value IMHO.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 1:37 pm    

J W Alexander wrote:
I'm not familiar with the Windows snipping tool, not capturing the audio at the same time wouldn't be useful for most of my very limited needs.

The snipping tool is normally found in the Start Menu under "Windows Accessories" in recent Win OSes.

I have to admit my post was slightly OT, given the OP asked for something to capture video and audio. The snipping tool only captures stills of whatever the user wants from the screen.

I use it all the time, though, to keep records of online order receipts, etc - saves having to print hard copies; hard copies are so 20th century. Winking

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 1:57 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:

I use it all the time, though, to keep records of online order receipts, etc - saves having to print hard copies; hard copies are so 20th century. Winking

True dat Dave! Smile

I've used the "print screen" button on the PC keyboard open that capture in whatever reader fits or use the "save as" function for the desired format.

Could be my own ways are clumsy but they work for me so far.

I will dig into this snipping tool though--have seen it but never looked into its use or function.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 5:19 pm    

J W Alexander wrote:
I will dig into this snipping tool though--have seen it but never looked into its use or function.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. You just click 'n drag what you want saved as an image, and tell Windows where you want to save it.

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 1:56 am    

Dave Potter wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty cool. You just click 'n drag what you want saved as an image, and tell Windows where you want to save it.

Cool indeed----it can do what I've been doing with the "print screen" function where I would save to a .jpg file. This tool cuts out a step or two.

Thanks again for the info Dave!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 7:06 am    

The snipping tool is awesome. I use it often.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 8:51 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
The snipping tool is awesome. I use it often.

Yep - me too. In fact, I have it pinned to my taskbar so I can use it without digging for it in the start menu.

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 9:55 am    

Dave Potter wrote:

Yep - me too. In fact, I have it pinned to my taskbar so I can use it without digging for it in the start menu.

Another good idea---I'll have to keep that in mind if I notice I need or use it more often.