The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  michael_atw continues to destroy history on Ebay
Nic Sanford

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 5:25 pm    

Humored isn't the fancy word you were looking for. Amused? Maybe. Commitment to the instrument and time to post about it may not be directly related. Calm down. Engage the forum. Find out where the frustration comes from. Be reasonable. Ask others to be reasonable. You sound wild, right now.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:09 pm    

Smile

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 6 Jul 2017 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:47 pm    

I hadn't seen this post before now. Since Mike is here defending himself, I'll let him be the judge of whether or not to kill it. As it says in the Forum rules:

Quote:
Messages express the views of their authors, not necessarily the views of the operators. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 8:10 pm    

b0b, I started the thread, and looking back, probably shouldn't have. For sure I shouldn't have referred to him as I did. I apologize for that, I was just cruising eBay looking at vintage steels and came across what seemed like an endless stream of gutted guitars and let it get to me. Sorry for any conflict I have caused. If you feel it should be killed, by all means do so. I will edit the o p to remove the detagatory remark.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 11:10 pm    

Mike Hultin wrote:
Jim Sliff wrote:
Quote:
the frustrating part is those tuner pans are not cheap or easy to replace once they are gone.

Luckily those are being made again - by Kluson! The new ones are $35 - you can find them on Reverb and eBay.

Very luckily - since I, michael_atw, was the one who sold the owner of Kluson a vintage tuner pan he used as a cast for the aftermarket parts.

Unfortunately, you sold him one that had been modified to fit a pedal and so their prototype had an unnecessary hole in it Very Happy

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 12:32 am     A question for Mike

Hi to michael_atw, it's very interesting to see you here on the S.G.F. Welcome.
Arrow
I wanted to ask you "why part-out steel guitars?". Are you a player, collector, enthusiast or $$ ???
I'm not condemning your actions or condoning them. I've bought parts from you. I've also sold parts on ebay.
Maybe you could sell them here on the Forum, b0b could maybe use the money...

Last edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 5 Jul 2017 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Hultin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 7:32 am     Re: A question for Mike

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:
Hi to michael_atw, it's very interesting to see you here on the S.G.F. Welcome.
Arrow
I wanted to ask you "why part-out steel guitars?". Are you a player, collector, enthusiast or $$ ???
I'm not condemning your actions or condoning them. I've bought parts from you. I've also sold parts on ebay.
Maybe you could sell them here on the Forum, b0b could maybe use the money...

I part out guitars the same reason my dad, grand-dad, great grand-dad pulled the coal out of mountains, the plants out of the ground, and put together tables, created steel. To make a living. I don't personally attach myself to possessions. I'm a younger guy who many years ago found a niche and steels were a recent discovery. Unfortunately, for most vintage Fender (what I do) guitar models and types are fading out of the reseller market. Too many are being retained/rebuilt, supply of originals is somewhat depressed (although, I'd say 40-50% of the models I acquire are modified in some way - which is why I can make money parting them), and people are overpricing (or finally paying proper amounts) in regards to various models of steel and non-steel.

What's more insidious is you wouldn't believe how disrespectful many (not some, but many) people are when they ship 10-30 lb steel guitars in the mail. Some of the folks railing about me recycling (I don't destroy anything but the industrial, assembly-line manufactured guitar that only retains value due to its function, not in regard to its innovation or historical significance. The pieces retain all of their character to be reused) are the very ones who have no concern for properly shipping and protecting these guitars from destruction. Legs blasting into them is the most notable issue.

The solution, if anyone is interested, is simply that the prices get in line with the market. Too many guitars (all types and brands) are sold for below their value. I can resell literally any guitar (and anyone else can do it, for that matter). Taught my buddy years ago to do it and he was doing Ibanez and Charvel guitars in the same way - and making good about it. I started out in modern Fenders but some of the models are amazingly hard to find these days - eight years later. Even Squiers are hard to find. Not sure why. I used to see Nashville Teles every other week; Classic 60's, 50's RI Strats all the time. Haven't held either of those models in years.

If the steel market for whole guitars caught up with where it should be - I'd be just as happy.

I've been slowly shrinking my business anyways as I've done this for almost a decade and it is tiresome and many folks push down the market (Hankeroo, as some of you are familiar with) for the items that destroys the market over long-term.

I would recommend if steel players are personally angry by actions of people like me - they should buy the guitars and retain them. They aren't that expensive - 1950's Fender standard electric guitar and bass models can go for $10k, $15k, $25k or more. 1950's steels go for $500, some of them.

I would have no problem selling parts on this site. The only familiarity I have with forum selling is a list of "you're not allowed to profit" rules so I don't know how it works over here.

I appreciate your message. Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by Mike Hultin on 6 Jul 2017 7:42 am; edited 3 times in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 7:35 am    

Rolling Eyes

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 8:04 am    

That's an impressive resume, what the forum is usually expecting from initial posts. Better than mine.
It almost paints the picture of creating steel guitars from forge to mill, hammering the steel into shape...
but I see you're painting the picture historically, generations down in time, or up.

More years on the forum and you would see more of the history that creates people's associations with guitars,
the depth of musical literature and personal connections, families....
At the moment it's like bringing the lions into the arena.
If an instrument is good whole, it should be kept that way for its musical value if possible. Just a pre-concieved notion, sorry.

But I don't agree that there's anything insidious here, if your reference was to the forum.
Just the ordinary welcome wagon as Garry Vanderlinde said.

Last edited by Charlie McDonald on 7 Jul 2017 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Hultin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 9:26 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
That's an impressive resume, what the forum is usually expecting from initial posts. Better than mine.
It almost paints the picture of creating steel guitars from forge to mill, hammering the steel into shape...
but I see you're painting the picture historically, generations down in time, or up.

More years on the forum and you would see more of the history that creates people's associations with guitars,
the depth of musical literature and personal connections, families....
At the moment it's like bringing the lions into the arena.
If an instrument is good whole, it should be kept that way for its musical value if possible. Just a pre-concieved notion, sorry.

But I don't agree that there's anything insidious here, if your reference was to the forum.
Just the ordinary welcome wagon as someone said in another thread.

The 'insidious' reference being to how many steels I've received in disrespect of the item itself and of myself for paying someone $500-$2000 and expecting some minor effort. I am curious how many who have badmouthed me for no reason are the same people who would ship a steel with no protection to travel 3000 miles being assaulted by picks, slides, and legs. Something I will never know - not that I much care in the grand scheme.

Musical value is not reduced by taking apart an instrument and selling the parts to restorers. In fact, it could be grown because much of Fender's "musical value" is nostalgia - especially the farther into the CBS years you go. Some of the stuff is pure junk.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 3:26 pm    

i have a stripped fender 1000 i bought on ebay about 12 years ago and have been looking at the parts offerings on ebay off and on. the prices are way too high to ever fix up mine and still have less in it than what i can buy a nice complete one for. mine needs tuners and pans, nuts, jazzmaster type pickups, legs, pedals and all the cable hardware. i've been tempted to sell the parts myself but keep shopping around and have some hope left. i can't imagine buying a stripped body and starting from scratch but if you had a steel like that and wanted to do a custom paint job and transfer parts to it you could still put the original back.

Stephen Schoenadel

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 5:56 pm    

Mike is destroying historical artifacts. %100 legal. . I Appreciate that he defends himself on the Forum. I do not agree with his analogies or reasoning.

He is still doing it.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 8:08 pm    

Several of us have posted on the Facebook steel pages urging members to boycott him and others that part out vintage instruments.

He and others don't just do it to steels - they are destroying restorable vintage instruments of all kinds. By parting them out they permanently remove them from circulation

I absolutely refuse to do business with those that have no respect for instruments and urge others to refrain from doing business with any sellers pating out instruments.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 9:22 am    

I can plead ignorance on the couple of parts I bought from him last year. It was helpful for me getting my instrument closer to where I needed it to be, even if in retrospect I might have tried to source them elsewhere. It just depends how you see instruments. If just simply machines/parts/subassemblies, his logic is quite defensible, but if something more valuable than that (historical significance, etc), I can understand how buying parts ripped from a serviceable, otherwise restorable instrument feels like supporting "Live Organ Transplants" (old Monty Python reference). There's a lot of folks on the forum and on FB groups very willing to help folks in need of parts...start there first...better to come from somebody's miscellaneous parts shoebox (and two very kind individuals on the forum did just that to help me) than a possibly restorable instrument. Just my 2c, I can see both sides.

Moral of the story, if you've got hold of a vintage instrument, keep hold of it, or at least see to it it goes to a good home! Smile

PS "Unfortunately, you sold him one that had been modified to fit a pedal and so their prototype had an unnecessary hole in it" I LOL'ed at that!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 11:19 am    

What irks me most is when a vintage lap steel is destroyed for the pickup, which is then installed in someone's underarm guitar. Mad

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 11:25 am    

Well, be fair, it isn't as if fretted six string guitarists have many available options out there in aftermarket pickups! Laughing

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 4:27 pm     Mixed emotions

I'll admit to mixed emotions on this subject.
This is not the first time it's come up on the forum and every time it gets people quite vocal.

Like many here I love to see the old vintage instruments.
I'm nowhere near wealthy enough to be a collector. Even if I was, how many old Fenders are out there? Does anyone know?
I imagine that Leo Fender produced thousands in his time and CBS after him.
It's not like Mike is parting out old one off Bigsby's and Wright's from the early days.

I've exchanged e-mail with Mike in the past. He seems a reasonable fellow with a business model similar to an automobile wrecking yard. If all those cool old cars were restorable they would do that. By restorable I mean they need to be restored at a cost below the final value or else it's just kind of dumb.

The fact is that the junk yards and Mike provide a service that is useful to some people who are restoring or repairing instruments and cars. If that were not the case they would go out of business.

And another factor is the more instruments and nice old cars taken out of circulation the higher the value of the ones left.

And this from me who is restoring and making useful an old Dewey Kendrick PSG that at best will be worth half of what I'll spend getting it into playable condition. Rolling Eyes

I don't think calling Mike names is very polite or useful.
He has found a way to make a living and that means he must see a profit.
I'm sure he can't sell all the parts he lists so he needs to make a good return on the ones he does sell.
If you don't like what he does, just don't buy from him.
Then go out and buy up those old ones before he gets them.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 May 2018 4:43 pm     Not exactly

Doug Beaumier wrote:
It's a good thing this guy is not an undertaker. He'd probably dismember the bodies and sell off the parts! Shocked

Not exactly Doug... It's not the undertakers doing that, It's the doctors and medical business. If you think Mike charges a lot for a pickup try buying a kidney. Laughing

The undertakers just charge a small fortune for a box and a small bit of land to stick it in. Can't afford that and they will BBQ your body to ash for a discounted price.
I decided to donate any usable parts when I've left the house, why not? Ain't nobody gonna buy it. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.