The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Hartley - "Different" bar positioning
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 2:10 pm    

I've watched a ton of David's videos, awesome stuff, no doubt! However, I just now noticed how he holds the bar - with his thumb underneath, and when he goes to the top strings, he shifts his thumb to the side of it.

I have been told by several folks that I hold the bar "wrong", but after seeing David's technique, I would say there is no "right or wrong" way...

I think I missed it in his other vids, as most of them feature a front view, and in this particular one, we are looking over his shoulder. Awesome all the way!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_fMLv_Q9o&list=RDwM_fMLv_Q9o#t=63

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 6:08 pm    

Looks like that helps is bar quiver ..

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:12 am    

There is no right or wrong, but when learning, I think it's best to learn the standard way first. When you're at a certain level, you can fine-tune your technique, but then you're in a better position to notice if it's helping or if it's holding you back.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 8:52 am    

I've been using a 12 string BJS bar on my D-10. The reason I kept it after leaving the U-12 world is because it allows me to do what David does (other than the tremendous playing).

I didn't see him doing it, but developed the same habit on my own. I noticed him doing it on his videos and felt better about my bar-grip.

It helps the bar to be steady doing low end playing and , I think, increases in-tune play because it lightens the bar. Low strings and a heavy hand always sound out of tune to me. Your Mileage May Vary.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 9:59 am    

Who's to say whats right or wrong. There is no right or wrong if it works for you.

I learned to use my thumb to mute the low strings on my U-12 because I use a 10 string bar. I get better bar control as well.

David seems to do quite well with his technique. I'm not going to tell him it's wrong.

Harpo Marx played the harp in the wrong tuning and on the wrong shoulder for many years.

It wasn't until years later after ridicule from the classical community that he switched to a standard technique.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 11:07 am    

Just check out Bobby Kofer if you are concerned about a right/ wrong way to hold a bar.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 4:37 am    

I looked up Bobby Koefer on UTube and was tickled to find him with Bob Wills.
Here's a later recording with an unusual shot; you can get the idea. Steel Guitar Rag.
He could still play as good as you want, a genuine entertainer from western swing.
I guess you can handle the bar any way you want to.

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 7:35 pm     david heartly differnt bar positioning

if any one can play as good as david heartly It dosn`t matter if their holding the bar with their teeth/ Whoa! Exclamation Very Happy

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2017 8:48 pm    

Mike Johnson as well....nothing wrong with his playing Smile

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 3:16 am    

As far as "right or wrong" goes, I've always held to whatever works for a person, their particular body type, geometry, things like that. I have only seen a few players that position the bar like I do, with my index finger flat on it, and at times, the index & middle finger on either side, with the bar in the middle of the two.

Some other very talented players, I have noticed, press down on top of the bar with their index finger arched up high. I tried that, and I have no control whatsoever, in fact, it is very uncomfortable.

And, if I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall that Jeff Newman impressed upon his students to keep their elbows pinned to their sides at all times when playing. Here again, I was not aware of that until I was well on my way into playing, and it seems to have worked out well for me, my "floating elbows" playing style. Mr. Green

Probably would have been helpful for me in the beginning to have gone to some of those steel guitar clinics, taken some lessons. Embarassed