The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In Memory of Charles Flenory - Sacred Steel Legend
Del Ray Grace

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:33 pm    

IN LOVING MEMORY of CHARLES FLENORY.
Condolences to Lucille Flenory.
Charles Flenory was born March 18, 1948 in Cleveland, Ohio to Bishop George and Mary Flenory. He is the proud father of three children Demetrius (BIG MEECH), Terry (SOUTHWEST T) and Nicole Flenory. He began playing guitar in the House of God, Keith Dominion Church at age of five and the steel guitar at age thirteen. Calvin Cooke and Bishop Ronnie P. Hall were his greatest influence.
Charles is the song writer and music arranger responsible for writing the Campbell Brothers hit song "Jump for Joy." Charles, a 1977 graduate of the Recording Institute of Detroit, Recording Engineering Program. He received a Billboard Platinum award for the design and construction of the Platinum Sound Studio facilities in Atlanta, Georgia.
In 2004 Charles received the Special Motown Achievement award presented by Bob Dennis. Charles Flenory was inducted into the 2014 Sacred Steel Hall of Fame in Toledo, Ohio.
Rest In Christ 1948-2017. Special memorial video clip below...
https://youtu.be/KKPPbBqjZ2Q

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:54 pm    

He was my musical partner in the church for over 35 years. We worked together as carpenters, in business for ourselves for ten years. I was there when his children came into this world. He was one of my church officers in my first church pastorate. He was much more than just a friend, he was my brother. As I have said, he will be missed. May God smile upon him, and may his legacy always be remembered. Rest on "Charley", Rest on, in peace.
Bishop Ron Hall

Del Ray Grace

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:31 pm    

Yes Bishop, we have lost another pioneer of our Sacred Steel legacy. Rest in Christ Charles Flenory.

Sean Spearman

Detroit,Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 12:00 pm     In memory of Charles Flenory...

What an awesome innovator of music...one occasion I was on the set playing bass guitar and he said, Do you hear that? I hear musical notes from heaven. His ability to tap in to me was amazing and awesome to experience. He was a warrior and stood on his principles that made him "Charles"...we shall see you "again" on the other side of promise.