The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing pick up S10 sho bud Pro1
Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 4:46 am    

Could someone tell me how much experience it takes to switch pick ups or should it be left to experienced tech. I have a S10 sho bud. Pro1 1978? Right now it has a George L in it. I want to put the org back in thanks

Last edited by Judd Pipes on 11 Jul 2017 6:36 am; edited 4 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:17 am    

Not really that hard. Patience is a good thing to have.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:28 am    

You haven't said what kind of guitar.
I will never again do it myself on a Zum D-10, because there's no damn room.
If you can use a soldering iron, and you can get in there, it's pretty easy.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:34 am    

Somehow I've changed pickups on a Carter years ago and one of my Desert Rose guitars,Now I have very little talent in electronics but I worked very slowly and learned how to solder correctly...take your time and it should be cake.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:38 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
You haven't said what kind of guitar.
I will never again do it myself on a Zum D-10, because there's no damn room.
If you can use a soldering iron, and you can get in there, it's pretty easy.

He's a new player if I remember correctly. I believe he has a single neck. A double neck is a whole different critter. I just moved my E9 pickup to my C6 and installed a new pickup on my E9. I've replaced pickups on my Carter a few times now. I have less hair now. No more trying to work between rods. I will remove any rods in my way now. It keeps my head from exploding. I also switched out the little terminal strip that needs soldering to a terminal block that doesn't need soldering. Haven't had any issues yet, but I also make sure the screws are tightened down. Never had one even move (yet).

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:39 am    

The technical know-how requirements are minimal but how it is mounted varies from maker to maker and I have yet to see a mount (other than the slide-in mounts) that isn't a pain. Screws threaded through springs have a mind of their own when it comes to finding ways to make you invent new, colorful words.
"Thank you, spring. That was nice the way you jumped off of the screw and rolled under the couch" has been calmly intoned by me many times.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:54 am    

Luckily, Carter didn't do the screw through springs thing. They have two springs that are in the center of the pickup. They sit in a little cutout in the body. But, I have had those sneak out of the shallow hole and creep into the hollow neck. Now that's a pain in the butt.

But, I do know the pain of searching for the little spring that Jon talks about. I would think that the Carter method could be adapted to any guitar. Instead of cutting into the guitar, maybe putting a tiny bit of an epoxy to hold the spring in place on the guitar would work. Then you can probably omit the screw through springs.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:06 am    

I noticed a Judd inquiry elsewhere concerning a sho-bud pickup, so that may be your guitar model.

It does depend somewhat on the guitar. If it's a single neck with no tone control, not too bad.

The physical part of bolting and unbolting the pickup is the easiest part after getting the strings out of the way. If you are replacing the existing unit with another brand/model, be prepared to adjust the height...sometimes this requires spacers.

The hardest part for me is disconnecting and reconnecting the wiring without breaking something in the harness. These wires are tiny and easy to break...then you might not know where they came from.

If you have a double neck guitar with a switch panel, it gets harder, if you have all this and a tone control circuit with a switch, harder still, with a split coil switch even more.

Many of the neck selector switches are mini style and tedious work connecting them correctly. Many times in this case, I use a new switch so I don't have to de-solder and heat/re-heat the switch so many times.

Cramped quarters for sure, but if your vigilant and diligent and have some basic wiring knowledge and soldering skills, you can probably handle it.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 11:01 am    

You don't have to remove the strings, just loosen them enough for a bottle or glass to fit under the strings. That's what I did the last time.