The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Got the new Clinesmith JM Model yesterday, Wow
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 9:11 am    

Got the new Clinesmith JM Model yesterday, Wow is about all there is left to say, but here goes anyway.
After a lot of e-mail exchanges, phone calls and ordering it was real nice to "Meet my maker" so to speak. And of corse to get the steel. Tone thats just what I'd expected to a degree that I was too nervous to play it well until I got home and wound down a bit.

He and his lovely wife are just as nice and humble as anyone you'd ever meet.
The operation he is doing there... I've been a luthier since 1969 and he has impressed me to a degree that's also hard to explain. Definitely a top rung luthier to say the very least, and even among those people he is way ahead when his metal working skills are included.

It has A6th tuning and the best I've ever heard from a steel. Just my cup of tea so I'll have to really work on my playing to deserve this.
Another plus is it sits very well on the arm rest of my new Mullen (Without touching each others scatchhable parts) so will not need a stand for it when I gig with it.
Now to wait until next spring for the T-8 he will build for me...
Anyway here are the Photos, sure is beautiful and well built. The steel, not me;

This will be treasured and kept like new as long as I live.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 11 Jul 2017 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 11:23 am    

There's a beauty! I'm waiting for a pretty much identical aluminum steel guitar I ordered from Todd. Excited to say the least.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 11:27 am    

Definitely a nice looking guitar Andy, is the body all aluminum?
Do you play a lot of A6, that is how my lap is tuned.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 11:46 am     Hi Einar

Hi Einar,
You won't be disappointed.
Certainly worth the wait.
Best regards,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 12:25 pm     David...

Hi David,
Yes it is cast aluminum.
The center is hollowed out, but still a little on the heavy side. Thats fine with me.
He also has a similar model with maple and aluminum that I'd guess is somewhat lighter, but you'd have to ask him because I'm not sure.
Actually I like that style a lot too, so who can say I might order one like that too, but not right now.
Here are pictures of his others;

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 5:43 pm    

Andy very very nice ! I am sure you are excited about it. I think mine will look similar to the front one in the last picture group ! Will be good motivation to keep pickin !!
Take care.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 6:28 pm     Hi Larry

Hi Larry,
So you are getting a D-8 with the aluminum necks from Todd? Thats great.
Maybe yours is one a two or three ahead of my order??? I don't mind waiting.
That is the same as I ordered from him.

I also got a 52 Fender Duel 8 in a trade about 9 days ago. Set it up with A6th on the back neck and decided to try the C Diatonic that I'd been seeing for years.
Went nuts with that C tuning because it's so sweet and easy to find melodies and harmonies on it.

Now for the dilemma... A few people who I respect for their musical skills, ability and taste in music told me I should be using the E13th that I've never understood on paper. Also know they must be right but I only got two necks.
Because of that I decided that getting this kind of steel from Todd is a once in a lifetime deal, so I called him up and changed my order to a T-8. I'm feeling very satisfied with that decision.
This afternoon I also decided to give the E13th a try and took the C Diatonic off and replaced it with the the same E9/13th Used By so many greats in the old days that is like this;
1 - G#
2 - E
3 - C#
4 - B
5 - G#
6 - F#
7 - D
8 - B
Shazam, just as people told me, there it was, all the older C&W and Western Swing sounds I knew from so many years of listening to that.
All this make me confident in getting a triple neck so I can have all three tunings.

Oh yes, One sad thing in a way was to see what had become of the famous Bigsby steel that was built for Speedy, was the first real pedal steel there was, but it's certainly with just the best guy in the world to get it back to life and as close to original condition as possible.
Best regards,
Andy

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 6:46 pm    

Andy, I know you wont regret getting the 3 neck...that would be amazing to have one of those from Todd ! Beautiful instruments !

I like having the E13th tuning for the old Hank Williams stuff. Later this week I am getting a T8 Custom, 1953, that I am excited about.

No, my Clinesmith will be a S8 birdseye...I mislead you...haha !

Enjoy the new steel, as I am sure you will !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 6:52 pm     Wow.

Wow, triple neck for you too.
What kind is that?

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 7:17 pm    

Its a 1953 Fender Custom T8, I already have a `56 Fender stringmaster T8, but want the Custom T8 also Smile

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 8:37 pm     Nice one

Hi Larry,
Nice one to have.
I bought one like that back in the 90's when they were cheap, but never had time to learn to play it. Must have sold it, but when or to who I just can't recall.
I really like this Fender Duel I got now, All the chrome is like new and the tone very nice.
The finish has some dings and normal ware, but nothing bad.
I need to replace the pots as they are way past just a spraying out.
Also the legs slip a lot so think I need to replace the rubber washers in the tubes that tighten them.
Andy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 Jul 2017 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 4:38 am    

Congratulations and good luck with it, and to all the patient expectant owners, good luck to you, too.

This is an amazing steel, you'll love it!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 7:20 am     Thank you Mike

Thank you Mike,
Yes I think it's already my favorite non pedal ever.
However, like an old girlfriend she'll have a problem holding her place when the T-3 arrives next spring.
Yes the best things in life usually need to be waited for.
Have enjoyed your youtube videos.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 7:30 am     Boys and their toys!

Larry Lenhart wrote:
Its a 1953 Fender Custom T8, I already have a `56 Fender stringmaster T8, but want the Custom T8 also Smile

Boys and their toys! Just seems you can't have too many nice steel guitars or old cars... Laughing

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:52 am    

Great to finally meet you Andy.
Glad you are enjoying the steel!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 8:20 am    

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
Great to finally meet you Andy.
Glad you are enjoying the steel!

Glad you liked that "Lost Photo" too... Laughing

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 8:38 am    

Congrats, lucky man!
The workmanship from Todd is always top shelf

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:04 am     Indeed it is great workmanship

Hi Mark,
Indeed it is great workmanship.
Funny thing is I told Todd I'd have to improve my playing to deserve such a fine instrument.

Something very special about the perfect string spacing, String height and the great tone have actually had the steel cause my playing to improve in just three days of owning it. Not the other way around!

Whatever it is I'm having a ball just sitting at my desk playing it. Not getting much work done. Laughing

Maybe there should be a "Clinesmith" fan club? I'd join.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:18 am     Beautiful Black Clinesmith Bar

Forgot to mention that Todd and his wife are now making a wonderful bar.
I bought one because my PSG bars are too big to be suitable for the 8 string and hammer-on, ect.
I think it's a tad over 4oz, but not sure. He also told me the material, but at my age I just don't retain things well.
As sometimes happens, I'd ordered a John Pearse 4oz bar the night before I went to get the steel.

I now have both and far prefer Todd's one. Has what seems the perfect size, weight and feel. Easy to grip and so well made.
I think they are planning to start selling them very soon.

The John Pearse bar is also very well made and good value, but the Clinesmith is just a better feel for me.
I'd post a photo, but we all know what one looks like. Has the logo engraved in the end.