The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD - Emmons D-10 Parts or Project
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 2:19 am    

I've listed this on ebay as a Buy it Now. If someone on the forum wants it I will cancel the eBay listing and pay the Steel Forum for the sale. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201981605858?_mwBanner=1

Last edited by David Mitchell on 9 Jul 2017 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 4:19 am    

p.m sent

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 7:26 am    

Sold on eBay. Please close this thread. Thanks!

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 9:09 pm     Machinations ahead...

Never quite know what to think of these attempts to "improve" a proven design. All I can
do is wish the buyer well. This PP may have had worn-into-ovals finger bores over time/use..such that it was thought to be unfixable without $$ for parts/labor. Nothing is indestructible, but there's more ways to rebuild than to go "outside the box" and gain traction. Then, it still has to PLAY like it should. Hmm? I hope it will.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 10:58 pm    

I bought this guitar and all the rest Andy Hinton had from his son about 4 years after he died. He had a steel guitar shop in Minden, Louisana and I bought it all for a song. If you will do a search on the forum for Andy Hinton he tells about this guitar. From what I gather he played it for years maybe decades as a push pull and it just flat wore out. He said he copied the Legrande changer scissors (Actuators) for the E9th neck and put Sho-Bud actuators in the C6th neck. He said the tone remained the same as when it was a push pull and believed it was due to the body. I can vouch for that as a player and recording engineer of hundreds of steel guitars. Actually it sounded better to my ears than the 71 push pull I recently gave $5,000.00 for that Bryan Adams totally rebuilt for himself. The reason I didn't have it rebuilt as a nice all pull is I need money fast and a whole lot more than I need steel guitars. I also had a nice D-10 LeGrande I bought from Walter Haynes wife after he died and it sounded similar. All I can imagine is push pull parts were not readily available to Andy for a total rebuild so he did what he did because it didn't cost him a dime since he had a machine shop and it's so much cheaper and easier to build an all pull. I only wish he had let a machine shop that had the proper equipment to cut out the endplate straight and smooth. This guitar sounds like a million bucks on both necks but it's gonna need to have the changers cleaned to function smoothly. It will make someone a very nice all pull that still looks like a push pull and built like a tank as all push pulls were of that era. If you had to choose between $3,000 to make it a new push pull or no dollars and a weeks worth of time to make it a new all pull it makes that decision easier to make. This guitar sat in a building unattended for at least four years hince the need for a good cleaning. It has gauged roller nuts and original Emmons pickups and Kluson tuners. At $1200.00 it was really a steal. I hooked it all up and played it. The pictures only show it half assembled. I could not get the the high E string to lower and got to many other things to do besides tearing it all apart. That will be a great project for someone in retirement.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 11:26 pm    

Thanks ever so much for a reply, David. It fleshes-out a hidden history of how this Emmons came to be what it is now. A fascinating journey, still ongoing. We players just love the "insider scoop" when some one moves in a different direction to reach their goals. I failed to mention how fast this one sold..virtually overnight! So I am sure the buyer has a solid agenda to fulfill. Godspeed to that end result, David. Hope the sale goes smooth as silk. My thanks again. Jon

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 1:03 am    

Thank you Jon! God bless!