The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  San Antonio Steel Guitar Association - July 9th
Ben Price

San Antonio, TX - USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 9:06 am    

Hello everyone,

Sunday, July 9th is our next San Antonio Steel Guitar Association jam. We meet at the American Legion in Converse from 2:00 till 5:00. All steel players, regardless of skill level, are encouraged to attend. The Legion has the best hamburgers in town so come hungry! There is a 4-sale table for stuff that needs 'downsizing'. Admission is free and all are welcome.

If you're a new player (or just shy), we have a special segment just for you called "This is my song". This segment is for players who might only know one song that they are comfortable playing in front of people. Bring you steel, play your one song, and then you can rejoin the audience, or stay up front. Any player can always pass in the round robin when it comes to them by just raising you hand. You can play ANY song you wish. If you need a suggestion, I'll be playing "Hey Good Lookin" in the key of C. But again, you can play ANY song you're comfortable with. I understand that it can be daunting to play in front of other people, but once you try it, you'll really enjoy it. Come on out and give it a try.

Our big event (and fundraiser) for the year is coming up in September. The San Antonio Steel Guitar Association Family Fest will be held at the Blue Bonnet Palace in Selma on Sunday, September 17th from noon till 7:00. Admission is FREE and all are welcome. There will be bands, food, entertainment, dancing, and surprise events. ALL monies raised go directly to The Warrior and Family Support Center here at Fort Sam Houston. Last year, thanks to folks like YOU, we were able to donate $7,000 to this worthy cause, and hope to meet, or exceed, that goal for this year. Please pass the word around and visit our Facebook page for current info on this event.

Jody Cameron, Texas Hall of Fame player, will be presenting a seminar here in San Antonio on Sunday, August 13th from 11:30 to 1:30 just before our monthly jam at the American Legion in Converse, TX. Cost is $35 in advance and the price includes an instructional booklet. For more information, contact Jody at: emmonsd10@yahoo.com.

Ben Price
San Antonio Steel Guitar Association
www.facebook.com/satxsga

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 9:28 pm     Sasga

Well July is upon us. If this month turns out anything like June, we can say this will be a double hitter. I really want to thank everyone who puts the effort in to making SASGA a truly unique steel guitar club, especially here in Texas. Its the effort of all who comes to carry on the beauty of the steel guitar and the music. So those who are starting out, come join us for the "This is my song" segment, or at least come and listen and talk to the other pickers, no matter what level you are at. It's really is a lot of fun, just as Omar Oyogue from Mercedes Texas, who has been playing for only two years, and I might say did a good job, a first timer who has been keeping us with us. He had said he has never experience anything like this. Start up time at 2:00 till 5:00 pm. Love to see everyone this Sunday.

Mark Moseley

Brady,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 9:52 am    

I think I am going to be there this time. Missed you guys!

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 3:22 pm     Sasga

Yeaaaaa Mark. We do miss you and come on and test the sounds of the beautiful steel guitars. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone attending this Sunday. Safe trails to you and everyone traveling to Converse Texas.

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 7:53 pm     Sasga

The SASGA jam was a great success today! All the players and spectators had a wonderful time. Not knowing who will round the bend, the river of music was flowing. A special thanks for the steel pickers, Ken Metcalf, Randy Boyd, Ben Price on "This is my song," Roger Edington, Harrison Yount, Ron Sodos, Mike Ester, and to follow up on the band, which I will say did a super job, was Ben Price on the guitar, Jim Clecker on bass, Larry Petron on drums, Mark Mosley who came all the way from Brady Texas to play guitar for us, Dean Schilling on trumpet, and yours truly on guitar and fiddle and vocals. The jam was something to behold with this much talent in one place at the American Legions Post 593, Converse Texas. That's all folks.