The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standel hybrid amps?
Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 12:55 pm    

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has played through one of these...These are the Standel amps that have the solid state preamp, with the tube phase inverter and 2x6dq6 tube power section.

Do they compare favorably to the all tube models?

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 2:02 pm    

30-40 watt amp. The preamp is very close to the preamp of the all-solidstate amps. Later versions had the 6GT5 tubes (no plate cap) which are functionally identical. Played one for a number of years in early 70's. Very clean. It is my understanding that later all-tube models had similar tone stack schemes. The early all-tube models had basically a crossover and then the bass and treble were mixed back together with the tone pots.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 12:55 am    

I've played one with EL84 power tubes and a single 12" JBL. While not powerful enough for a giggin' pedal steel amp, it was one of the sweetest sounding Standels I've played. Very good for studio or six string.

Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 9:06 am    

I've been using a hybrid Imperial head as my main pedal steel amp for several years. The tone is great, sounds like a Standel should, and it is amazingly loud for the wattage. Played through a D130f it easily keeps up with the guitar player's twin. I also use it a lot for six string.

Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 7:38 am    

Thanks for the opinions. I have a 72J15 en route...unfortunately it's snowbound in Chicago. Sad Maybe next week...

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 12:36 pm    

FYI
I do repairs on the Standel hybrids, if anyone is looking to get one repaired.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 11:57 am    

I have a hybrid Imperial head as well as an all solid state Custom XV. Same tone stack on both amps (vol,contour, treb, bass) but a slightly different sound.

They both have D or K130s in them but the giant ported "bass reflex" cab of the Imperial has a different sound, and my feeling is that you need a big enough stage and have it set far enough back to hear what's really going on. It reminds me of a big old school hi-fi system. Very clear sounding, with a lot of detail. The Imperial sounds good through a smaller open back cab too, but the stock cab has a bottomless pit of low end without getting in the way of any other other frequencies. The combination of that big cab with the 30-40 watt head is very cool.

I use the Custom XV pretty much 100% of the time, but that probably has more to do with it being an open back combo which works better for different stage setups. Both amps have plenty of headroom for just about any situation.

I'm always looking for a combo version of the Imperial, or a later model higher powered all tube Standel like the 50L but they are very rare.