The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Case Idea
Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 1:56 am    

There's Probably some Steelers out there That need or want split cases to lighten your load? If You are like me...and The $300 (or so) price tag is holding You back..heres what I did....Got a Drum Hardware bag for $19.95.....lined it with some waffle foam...and I'm all set!!! Theres even room left over for a couple Mic stands...or ????

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 1:08 pm    

Jory,
I have even thought about the cloth rifle/shotgun bags/cases you can get at the sports stores.

They will hold your legs, pedal bar and rods. I

Good thinking there.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 5:36 pm    

There can be a big difference in weight between similar sized cases. A few case makers are now making sturdy steel cases that can shave 15 pounds off the case weight for a D-10. My new Excel S-12 case weighs 12.1 pounds. My new Williams S-12 case weighs 31.1 pounds! That's a 19 pound difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 4:08 pm    

Jory,
You pushed me over the edge. I went to Academy sports and looked at the gun cases. I found one for $34.00 and don't have to add foam. It is sturdy and even has other pockets for other things.

My pedal rack and leg/rod pouch fits in there great. Shaved the weight of my Carter case from 65 pounds to 45 pounds. So, 20 pounds less weight for me to carry at once.

Ron

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 6:37 am    

I bought a gun case similar to yours, at about the same price. It worked really well until the zipper crapped out, about 3 months. While the zipper appeared to be good quality on mine, I suspect it was not designed to handle the amount of stress/use a gigging musician puts on it. I hadn't thought of a drum hardware bag, which would definetely be designed to to stand up hard use.