The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DOBRO To PSG.?
Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 5:18 am    

I need some feed back.I told yall before that I have played Dobro in bands for 45 years now being retired. I wanted to lean the PSG.I have been asked to play a gig on theDobro.Not sure if this will interfear with me learning PSG.Your input would be helpful. Thanks

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 5:52 am    

Judd, my friend, it's not an issue. Both instruments have their own unique merits. While the Dobro is a slide and hammer on/off Instrument there are many commonalities,such as notes above or below . With the Steel, Pedals and or K Levers raise or lower notes to get to the destination or the bar and slants...

Each can serve each other well !

go for it !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 8 Jul 2017 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 5:52 am    

double strike!

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 6:37 am     Dobro PSG

Thanks Tony I think the right hand playing on Dobro is so different also more strings and grips .I will keep at it.Your lessons sure do help. Thanks PS Thanks for the last lesson .

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 11:12 am    

I agree with Tony. Primarily, I find that the bar hand technique can be different, sometimes more rolling, sustaining when on Pedal Steel. Right hand, Dobro is usually more percussive and harder than Pedal Steel has to be.

On my current gig, I switch between them and Overdriven Lap Steel through the set, and I usually feel like I have the feel on 2 of the 3 any given night, but hard to have it dialed in on all 3. Smith Curry is a great example of a guy who started on Dobro, then added Pedal Steel. He's very successful doing both.

Just like you would listen to Jerry Douglas, if you were learning Dobro from scratch... listen to the Pedal Steel greats for ideas on how the approach is different: Emmons, Franklin, Jernigan, Lloyd Green, Hal Rugg, Herby Wallace, John Hughey... the list goes on.

Best of luck,

David Spires

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 11:26 am    

I started on bluegrass dobro. Pedal steel came 20 years later. I was fortunate to learn both from Mike Auldridge so he was expert with easing the transition.

In my experience there were two major challenges:

1. The physicality of the psg. Coordination of the playing topside and the changes under the guitar.

2. The tendency to push way too hard with the right hand. It's all too easy to sound like an "electric dobro" rather than a steel guitar.

There are other challenges of course but none are insurmountable over time.

btw..Learning pedal steel applicable theory and applying it back to dobro made me a much better dobro player imho,

I recommend face to face instruction if possible, a decent guitar and plan on lots of seat time.

Enjoy!

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 1:43 pm    

I'm a pro guitarist, but only a couple years into PSG and dobro......and I find the biggest challenge switching between them is the string spacing. Dobro feels familar and comfortable to me, in that way.....while the steel is still a bit finicky.