The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Apprciating Lew Houston
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 7:19 pm    

He seemed to not get the recognition he really deserved. His work on Conway's most early releases on Decca was superb and he mastered playing single string. RIP !!

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 7:30 pm     Lew houston

I miss Lew, he was from OzarkAlabama, every time he would come home to visit his mom he would always come set in wherever I was playing. We inducted him into the Alabama steel guitar hall of fame in June of this year. Yes he was one heck of a picker....thanks jack

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 10:11 pm    

Lew does so good on these two Conway tunes, live on Porter Wagoner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyG2Z7Glbwg

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 5:46 am     Lew

Scott, thanks for posting. Can you imagine Lew sitting in with you?....thanks jack

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:38 am    

Lew was the first Steeler I met when I moved to Kansas City, Mo in 1973. Even got to work on one of his amps one time.

He was a master at using the volume control on his Fender, no foot volume control.

Lew told me the reason he left Conway was he didn't want to fly. I didn't dig into his reasons, just left it at that.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:50 am    

I always chime in when there's a Lew Houston post. His playing kills me. He was funky and soulful and totally unique and precise. Not only does he chicken pick as well as it's ever been done, but his conception and note choice is amazing. Good luck copping his licks. Also, if you listen to the recorded version of "Working Girl" he'll vary the licks. Conway figured he didn't need a lead guitar (although he played some) when Lew was in the band.

Finally, I just noticed that Lew didn't use a volume pedal! He used both feet on the pedals and controlled all those licks with his hands.

I've heard that he left the band because he wouldn't fly. Then Conway gets John Hughey...wow.

Joe

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 7:58 am    

Seen him person with Conway at Ponderosa Park. He played all the lead guitar parts on steel. I've never seen a video of him that captured how close his steel parts could mimic a lead guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 9:52 am    

I only met Lew Houston one time. It was 1971 at the Nashville Nevada club on Fremont St. and I was working with Tommy Holbrooks using Mike Franklin's band. It was about 2am and this fellow comes up on break and asks if he could sit in. I said, sure... here's my picks and use my Sho~Bud.

Nah thanks, but I have my own guitar, he says. He brings in a Fender 400 and sets up on the dance floor, about 3 feet lower than the stage. He then prepares to totally take me to school on how to play the steel guitar. Smile Simply awesome.

So I was shell-shocked and star-shocked at the same time and on the break asked him who he is and where's he playing. He allowed as how he's Conway Twitty's steel man and I ask if he's John Hughey. He said no, my name is Lew and I work with Conway when John doesn't. We talked for the entire break and then I had to go back to work until 3am and he split.

That was the last time I saw him, although our paths crossed at various gigs but at different times, like seeing our autographs on various backstage green room walls.

One of the unsung greats of steel guitar, and totally under-recognized.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 3:51 pm    

What a player.

Tony

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 4:05 pm    

I used to hang out at Lamar Colvin's booth in St. Louis after I bought a guitar from him. One year, Lew was there playing a custom guitar built for him by Lamar.

I had only found out a short time earlier about Lew's work with Conway.

It was a treat watching his technique with the pedals and the pinky vol. control. His playing blew me away too. Unique approach and wonderful tone. I was too mesmerized to inquire about his tuning.

I felt fortunate to have visited with this legend for a short minute.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 7:26 pm    

He played a D9 tuning....4 pedals no knees or volume pedal.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 7:28 pm    

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 7:32 pm    

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 2:42 pm    

What's that guitar he's playing on the Wagoner show?

What a great original player he was; I've never heard anyone else who sounds like that.

Last edited by Bob Russell on 5 Jul 2017 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 4:25 pm    

Thanks so much for the replies and the photos. Houston was truly unique.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 6:09 pm    

Thanks for posting that Conway link, amazing!

Can you guys post some recorded material that Lew played on? Thanks!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 8:45 pm    

any of Conway's country recordings from the mid-late 60s feature Lew. he does a very guitar-ish solo on Dim Lights Thick Smoke, among others.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 2:18 am    

Lew did the steel on Conway's "The Image Of Me".

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 6:09 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C0BVq5Bbg

First time I heard this solo by Lew, I was in heaven.. Its very simple, and too brief, but the touch and tone just floored me.. It made me realize why I love the old school steel sound so much more than the modern sound ..
The solo starts at 1:15.. It has just always been a favorite.. this was in the 60's and I think its a Fender

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 10:50 pm    

Here's another photo. Dig Lew's sideburns!
Very Happy

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 10:10 am    

Unique player! He smoked me on Old Joe Clark at a Jam Session. He could play extremely fast. The only guy I ever saw who controlled volume with his little finger. Lonnie Harper and Lew had a "HOT" band in Kansas City.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 11:39 am    

Big Joe Lewis just fascinates me to watch. That dude is a giant

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 1:19 pm    

Here is a picture of Lonnie Harper, that Keith mentioned that worked with Lew Huston for a long time in KC. Note how he plays "upside down". Its an old picture I got from Lonnie's Facebook page.

Michael Hardee

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2019 11:16 am    

I have never been able to figure out what pedal steel Lew Houston was playing on this video with Conway Twitty. It looks similar to an old Sho-Bud and is sure not a Fender. Anyone know the make of that single eight steel?

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2019 11:52 am    

I saw one similar to this, may have been the same one it looked to have a circular logo in the middle of the front apron. A closer look it said "Hughey". Later learned at one time he and John Hughey built a few models. This one was a red finished, no transparent finish. This was at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, OK about 50 years ago.